Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp is owned and operated by Sanctuary Retreats, a name synonymous with fabulous locations and luxurious accommodation. The quality of guiding, both in Bwindi and Queen Elizabeth N.P., is exceptionally good, and service standards throughout Camp are equally impressive. Gorilla Forest Camp is perfect for travellers who like the idea of basing themselves within Bwindi for gorilla tracking, rather than outside the park’s borders.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Gorilla Forest Camp is accessed by road from Kampala and Kigali (10 and 8 hours respectively), and the closest airstrip is Kihihi, about one-and-a-half hours away. Located in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, the property is surrounded by trees and has an adventurous feel!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SANCTUARY GORILLA FOREST CAMP:
The communal buildings are set in well-kept grounds and constructed from timber, stone, and thatch. They are open sided, so guests can enjoy superb views of the forest. The largest structure contains a comfortable lounge with plenty of wood-framed cushioned seating around chunky coffee tables – this space adjoins both the smart dining room, featuring wildlife prints on the walls, and the inviting bar! The mini-spa offers massages, mani–pedis, and facials, while the gift shop stocks various local artefacts as well as essential items. The grounds include a fire-pit area, in addition to spaces for private dining. And there is complimentary Wi-Fi in all communal areas!
The guest accommodation at Gorilla Forest Camp consists of ten tents, spaced around the grounds and connected to the communal buildings along neat stone paths. All are made out of timber, stone, and thatch, with a veranda at the front boasting forest views. Inside, each features two queen-size beds, bedside tables and lighting, a pleasant lounge area, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, washbasin, shower, and a bathtub with views straight into the forest canopy! A hairdryer is also provided, and every tent is served by a personal attendant, who will happily run you a bath or bring you drinks to enjoy on your veranda. Please note, all tents may be converted to triple rooms, and children aged 15 years and younger must share with an adult.
ACTIVITIES AT SANCTUARY GORILLA FOREST CAMP:
Gorilla Forest Camp offers a great range of activities!
- Gorilla tracking is available throughout the year and starts out at 08:30. Accompanied by experienced guides, guests track one of northern Bwindi’s habituated family groups through the forest. Sometimes the trek is quite hard work, but guides are able to assist if necessary – and if you have mobility problems the Camp can provide a sedan chair, carried by reliable porters. The time it takes to locate the gorillas varies, but guests always enjoy a full hour for observing the group. The experience of seeing these majestic creatures in their natural environment is truly magical!
- The forest walks on offer are pretty special too, using trails that lead from the park office as far as the spectacular Munyaga waterfall.
- Birding walks are also available, in which an expert guides you through the forest and helps you to recognise the local species.
- The Camp’s Batwa tribe experience is another opportunity to take a hike – this time, to the home of the Batwa people, where guests can watch a musical performance, see a visitation by the goddess, and check out a hunting-and-gathering demonstration.
- If you wish to travel even farther afield, the Camp can arrange trips to Queen Elizabeth National Park, for excellent game drives!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.