Everything about Ol Malo defines comfort, relaxation and homeliness. This family-run lodge has built a reputation as one of the finest in the area for activities, with a team of dedicated and enthusiastic locals who are keen to show off the hidden treasures of their homeland to guests. Add to that the amazing views and home-from-home comfort of private cottages – and you have yourself the perfect getaway!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Very close to the original family home of the owners, Ol Malo Lodge sits on an escarpment, offering some of the most jaw-dropping views in the whole of Kenya! It is located in the gorgeous Laikipia North area of Kenya’s north-central region and overlooks the Ewaso Ng’iro River.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT OL MALO:
Accommodation at Ol Malo has been designed to make guests feel right at home, with its rustic approach ensuring a feel of being on a real ranch – which, indeed, it is, as the farm is still running from day to day! Set around the infinity pool, there are four cottages that have been constructed with couples in mind. Made from rock and olive wood, these are built into the cliffs, providing a private home-from-home with a veranda for spectacular views while you relax. Each cottage has an en-suite bathroom – and from the large beds, couples can wake up and look out of the grand picture windows onto Mount Kenya herself! Aside from the four charming cottages, there is also an amazing six-bedroom house for families or larger groups of visitors.
At the centre of the house is a spacious sitting and dining room, with sofas and comfy cushions, an open fireplace to sit around, and an ambience of home life. The house also contains three en-suite bedrooms, with a further three double bedrooms in separate cottages on the same plot of land as the main building. All accommodation has been designed using local artistry and tradition, featuring handmade lighting from the Samburu women as well as lovely arch doors and windows to let in light and to provide amazing views.
The sitting room is comfortable and allows for time spent relaxing and looking out at the scenery, while the dining room provides both individual and communal dining. Just outside the main building, visitors will discover a maze of pathways, which lead down not only to the first four cottages on the property but also to the communal infinity pool. On those long, hot summer days, what better way to cool off than to take a dip in the pool? With amazing views of the wild, the pool is a real treat – perfect for couples and young honeymooners to bathe together and enjoy their romantic holiday! A barbecue area offers opportunities for groups to cook for themselves in the open air – and there is guidance from the staff upon request.
ACTIVITIES AT OL MALO:
The whole lodge runs like clockwork, so there is plenty of time for guests to fully relax, indulging in some of the most exciting and varied activities in Kenya!
- The owners of the ranch have their own private helicopter, which can be booked for a trip of a lifetime, taking visitors all over the country. You can go for breakfast and lunch in the desert, sink sundowners on the mountainside, and enjoy all the hidden spots the pilot knows!
- Horse safari and camel walks are a different way to see the wild – or you can go for a hike or leisurely walk, with a guide by your side.
- Game drives are provided both day and night.
- You can even book a romantic evening in Ol Malo’s tree house, sleeping under the stars as the songs of safari send you to sleep.
- On the ranch itself you can learn about how the family remain self-sufficient while living on a working farm – you can help to collect the eggs for breakfast and you can assist during lambing season too!
- Conservation and local culture are very important aspects of life at Ol Malo and excursions to Samburu Tribe villages and schools are exciting and interesting prospects for visitors. Why not take a trip and see some of the outstanding local artwork and culture on show?