This mighty cattle ranch oozes character and charm and is ideal for travellers looking for plenty to do on holiday! And its anti-malaria status makes it particularly fab for families. Highly recommended!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
It has a fabulous location in the foothills of Mount Kenya, at an altitude of almost 6,000 feet! It has a private airstrip, or guests can take the road from Loisaba or Nanyuki.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SOSIAN LODGE:
The ranch house includes the lounge, dining room and bar. The lounge is very grand, with plenty of comfortable sofas and armchairs arranged around coffee tables and a cosy fireplace for when the weather turns chilly! This area flows onto a full-length veranda with superb views across Sosian’s own garden grounds as far as the plains of Laikipia and Mount Kenya beyond. There is even a telescope, so guests can enjoy some wildlife watching without leaving the lodge! The dining room defines elegant, with its long hardwood table flanked by smart upright chairs, gorgeous glassware, wall artwork and large fireplace. Outside there is a good-sized swimming pool with thatched pool house and a hard tennis court with stunning views across the valley of the River Ewaso Narok. And finally, Sosian has a shop selling products created by local artisans – jewellery, woodwork, and various knitted characters too!
The guest accommodation at Sosian consists of seven rooms, set within two cottages extending along the lodge’s lawn. Each has a wide veranda with comfy recliner chairs. There are three double rooms and four that can be configured as either double or twin – and an extra bed can be added to all rooms, though this is just a small single and suitable only for a child. A family unit is possible too, as two rooms interconnect. Just contact us for more details! All options are spacious and stylish, with bedside tables, a writing desk and chair, lounge furniture, and snug rugs underfoot. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin and shower.
ACTIVITIES AT SOSIAN LODGE:
Sosian offers an impressive range of activities!
- Game drives are available by day and by night – and there is loads to see within the private ranch, covering almost 100 sq. km of savanna and riverine forest.
- The area is home to such species as lion, leopard, cheetah, wild dog, elephant, zebra, giraffe, gazelle, oryx, hartebeest and bat-eared fox! Nocturnal sightings include aardvark, aardwolf, buffalo and bushbaby.
- There is abundant birdlife too, featuring ostrich, pelicans, egrets, ibises – and many hundreds more!
- The lodge’s guides also lead walks in the region, showing guests how to track animals – some of the lions and wild dogs have been fitted with collars by the Laikipia Predator Project.
- Everyone can participate in Camera Trap, where a camera is set up to record nightlife!
- Other ways to get to know the area are horse riding and camel riding – the majority of ages (12+ years) and all abilities are accommodated.
- Guests can experience fly camping too or spend some time messing about on the Ewaso Narok, swimming and tubing – and even diving for the daredevils!
- Fishing is possible as well – the river and its dams contain sizeable populations of barbel, tilapia, catfish and yellowfish.
- If you are interested in the local culture, you will love visiting the local village to watch beading, fire making and special occasion dances.
- And all sorts of insights into ranching are provided by a guided tour of Sosian itself courtesy of Sean the General Manager. The ranch has its own herd of beef cattle in addition to a small dairy herd – and there is a great deal to learn about the upkeep of all the farm animals!