Segera is a pretty spectacular property, highly recommended for travellers seeking ultra-luxurious accommodation and an impressive range of activities in the Laikipia region.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Segera is situated on a private ranch, approximately 40 kilometres north-east of Nanyuki. Travellers touching down at Nairobi’s Jomo Kenyatta International Airport can take a 35-minute flight to Nanyuki followed by a 2-hour road transfer to Segera. Alternatively, private charters from Nairobi to the property are available, a journey of about 50 minutes.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SEGERA:
Guest accommodation at Segera consists of six villas and one house. Each villa has one bedroom, while the house has two. The villas combine safari style and luxury living, featuring top-notch fittings and a personal attendant, no less! Every villa bedroom benefits from a four-poster king-size bed, bedside tables and lighting, a comfy couch, and storage space. The family villa has capacity for extra beds for children. A separate lounge contains comfy chairs, occasional tables, a tea-and-coffee station, and a cosy fireplace. The en-suite facilities typically feature flush toilet, twin washbasins, and walk-in shower. Outside, there’s a lovely private veranda or patio area with swing seat, sunloungers, and garden or ranch views. The majority of villas occupy the gardens, with one – named Villa Segera – enjoying a more secluded position on the edge of the site. This is for couples or honeymooners, with romantic touches such as a swing bridge, a spacious en-suite bedroom, private dining areas, and a private saltwater swimming pool! Segera’s house – Segera House – is considered the signature villa, boasting all the amenities of the villas in addition to a double-volume reception area with chandeliers, three indoor lounge areas, two enormous en-suite bedrooms, and a private garden complete with plunge pool. This accommodation is suitable for families too, or for a large group of family members and/or friends.
The retreat is set within gorgeous gardens and the communal building forms part of a refurbished colonial-era farmstead. Inside, there are very well appointed lounge and dining areas. The lounge contains plenty of comfortable seating around coffee tables, while the dining area features tables of various sizes flanked by smart upright chairs. Both spaces flow out on to a deck, where guests can relax, indulge in a little al fresco dining, and marvel at the scenery! Segera’s bar is housed in what used to be the farmstead stables, and the property’s art exhibition is found here too. Additional outbuildings contain further art displays, a well-equipped gym, a sumptuous spa, and a convention centre. Segera also benefits from a swimming pool, perfect for a refreshing dip between activities. A short stroll from the main building, there’s a fire-pit for gatherings come dawn or dusk to get to know your fellow ranchers! And finally, there’s the rather fabulous wine-cellar tower.
ACTIVITIES AT SEGERA:
From this opulent base camp, guests can enjoy a wide range of activities.
- You can go wildlife watching, for example, on game drives and walking safaris. The ranch is home to a wealth of species, not least lion, leopard, cheetah, elephant, buffalo, reticulated giraffe, Grevy’s zebra, Jackson’s hartebeest, patas monkey, and the rare wild dog!
- There’s also a lot of birdlife, such as kori bustard, tawny and crowned eagle, helmeted and vulturine guineafowl, and eastern yellow-billed hornbill.
- A lot of excursions beyond the ranch are possible too, on helicopter flights courtesy of Segera’s partner Tropic Air. Trips include circling around the majestic peaks of Mount Kenya and getting a bird’s-eye view of the flamingo-filled lakes of the Great Rift Valley. Other rides take in the remote Suguta Valley and Lake Turkana, the largest permanent desert lake in the world!
- Back at the retreat, there are other marvels on which to feast your eyes, in the shape of Segera’s art gallery. This is a satellite of the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa, showcasing pieces from the Zeitz collection. You can also spend time wandering in the property’s sculpture garden, admiring works made out of stone, bronze, and steel. And guests intrigued by the running of Segera can participate in a back-of-house tour, checking out the solar farm, recycling systems, and vegetable gardens!
- Staff members at Segera are happy to help organise all of these activities for you. The game drives and walking safaris are enjoyed in the presence of knowledgeable guides – their experience guarantees great wildlife sightings! The same expert attention is in evidence throughout the retreat, from the exquisitely presented food and drink to the array of treatments available in the spa.