Ekorian’s Mugie Camp is owned and managed by husband and wife Josh and Donna Perrett, who were both brought up in Kenya. Josh and Donna designed the camp themselves, and they run it with a great team of local people.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Ekorian’s Mugie Camp is situated in the north-western region of Laikipia, within the Mugie Conservancy. Most travellers access Laikipia via air or road transfer from Nairobi, having touched down at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Ekorian’s Mugie Camp has a lovely location on plains surrounded by woodland.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT EKORIAN'S MUGIE CAMP:
Guest accommodation at Ekorian’s Mugie consists of six tents, set up in a long line to one side of the communal tent. There’s lots of space between them, so each feels very private. They are made out of the same materials as the main structure, blending beautifully with the trees around the site. Five tents are designed to sleep a maximum of two adults, while the sixth is intended for a family. All are super-roomy and comfortably furnished. Every standard tent includes a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk and chair, and ample storage. There are snug rugs on the floor, and curtains to keep out the sun if need be. The en-suite facilities are found at
The communal structure comprises a large canvas tent, positioned under papyrus roofing and benefiting from a spacious deck. A few steps lead up into the lounge area, which has plenty of comfy seating around coffee tables, as well as a few occasional tables and an amazing view! The palette is an interesting mix of maroon, earth tones, and wildlife prints. At the opposite end of the space is the dining area, featuring a large table and upright chairs. The deck is sufficiently spacious to accommodate additional dining and lounging furniture, in addition to the property’s swimming pool. The pool uses fresh water and is free from chemicals – and it overlooks a busy watering hole, so while you take a dip you can watch the local wildlife enjoying a drink! The camp has a fire-pit too.
ACTIVITIES AT EKORIAN'S MUGIE CAMP:
As for activities, there is no shortage of things to do here!
- The camp owns three safari vehicles, and game drives are a great way to view the wildlife of the Mugie Conservancy. Lion, leopard, elephant, giraffe, zebra, gazelles… these are just a few of the predators and herbivores you can expect to see here.
- Guided walks present wonderful opportunities for close encounters with mammals, as well as plants, insects, and birds.
- The birdlife of Mugie is very impressive. Hundreds of permanent and migratory species have been recorded, and specials include sunbirds, wagtails, weavers, and the camp’s own resident owls!
- You can also enjoy watching wildlife while kayaking on Mugie Dam – as the dam is free from crocs and hippos, you can swim in it too.
- Fishing trips are available.
- Visits to the local Samburu and Pokot markets are always popular with travellers who like to take in a little culture while on holiday.
- Tours of Mugie Ranch can be arranged, as can demonstrations of Mugie’s three bloodhounds – this canine team is used to track poachers and thieves throughout Kenya.
- You can board a camel and experience an adventurous night of fly camping, returning to camp come morning. Sleep-outs are possible too.
- Golfers will be keen to try out Mugie Ranch’s own course, set among olive trees and boasting panoramic vistas of the conservancy.