Kicheche Laikipia is an excellent option for wildlife enthusiasts, as it offers not only great game viewing on drives and walking safaris, but also opportunities to track lion and visit two local sanctuaries! At YZ, we are pretty keen on Kicheche! This is a very comfortable little camp, in a fabulous location. Highly recommended!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The lodge is approached along a road through Ol Pejeta’s sprawling plains.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KICHECHE LAIKIPIA:
Most of the communal facilities are housed in a large mess tent, positioned in the shade of trees. Here you will find the lounge area, which contains large burnt-orange sofas and brown leather poufs around a chunky coffee table, for a welcoming feel. A bookshelf, potted plants, and fresh flowers also add a homely vibe! The adjoining dining area features a large wooden table, surrounded by matching chairs with cushioned seats. Unusually for a tent, this area has a fireplace too, for you to enjoy on the cooler nights. The canvas sides of the mess tent open up, so during the daytime you can take in views of the dam lake in front of the lodge. You can also tuck into meals in the lodge’s outside dining area, with an even closer view of the lake! In a separate tent, there is a small shop, where you can buy mementos as well as bags, belts and silver jewellery from Nairobi.
Kicheche’s guest accommodation consists of six tented rooms. All are extremely spacious – and while they appear humble from the outside, the interior is anything but! Neutral décor combines beautifully with brightly coloured blankets, mats and cushions, while lots of little touches add lashings of luxury. Individual lamps beside the beds, matching bedside tables, a table with cushioned chairs, a writing desk, potted plants… all bestow a bit of extra comfort in this home away from home. Adjoining the bedroom, there is a bathroom area with a curtained toilet, ceramic twin sinks on a wooden stand, and a shower, plus plenty of complimentary toiletries. Head out onto the private veranda and you will find extra seating, a table, and more potted plants! This is the perfect place both for sitting out in the evenings with a drink or two and for relaxing in your hammock during the daytime. The tents really do have everything you could need on your holiday!
Kicheche Laikipia may be small, with only six guest tents, but it is a spacious and luxurious property, with superb service standards. Food and drink is provided on a full-board basis, with such highlights as bush breakfast, picnic lunch, afternoon tea, and a lavish three-course dinner! There are no age restrictions, but the lodge prefers to receive children aged over 6 years. There is no Wi-Fi and a rather sporadic mobile signal! A full laundry service is included in the price of your stay.
ACTIVITIES AT KICHECHE LAIKIPIA:
Activities at Kicheche Laikipia focus on the wildlife that resides in the Ol Pejeta Conservancy.
- Game drives are available during the day and at night, using the lodge’s custom-built 4WD Land Cruiser! Guests can expect to see lion, leopard, cheetah, elephant and oodles of plains game, in addition to rare species such as African wild dog, Grevy’s zebra, and Beisa oryx.
- Game walks are also possible and a wonderful way to get to know the area, but they must be booked in advance so the lodge has time to request a rifle from the rangers in the Conservancy.
- Guests can track lion here, using technology provided by the Lion Tracking Programme – this is an amazing opportunity to see the mighty beasts up close!
- You can also take a trip to the Chimpanzee Sanctuary, to see the orphaned chimps who are raised there and to learn about the difficulties faced by chimpanzees in the wild.
- And, in our view, no trip to Kicheche Laikipia would be complete without an excursion to the local white rhino sanctuary!
- Other activities include canoeing, hiking, and mountain biking – there really is something for everyone here.