The Delight is owned and operated by Gondwana Collection – Namibia. This company runs camps and lodges throughout the country, including Fish River Canyon and the Namib and Kalahari deserts. The Delight is listed in Gondwana’s Premium Collection and has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! The accommodation is booked on a B&B basis, including buffet breakfast, bottled water, parking, and Wi-Fi. Children aged 6–13 incur just 50 per cent of the adult rate, and youngsters aged 5 years and younger stay for free!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The hotel is situated in the north region of Swakopmund, opposite the town’s Hotel & Entertainment Centre and on the junction of Nathaniel Maxuilili Street and Theo-Ben Gurirab Avenue. Guests transferring by road from Swakopmund Airport have a journey of approximately 6 kilometers. The Delight is a contemporary property painted slate grey and cream, and with plenty of clean lines.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT THE DELIGHT:
Guest accommodation here consists of 44 double or twin rooms and 10 family rooms. All occupy two-tier buildings set around a well-laid courtyard. The double/twin rooms are found on both the ground and first floors, while the family rooms are on the first floor with access to a loft. All rooms have a very modern vibe about them, with light-wood furniture, a palette featuring splashes of bright red and turquoise, and all the contemporary amenities you could desire! Each double/twin room includes bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk and chair, a comfy chair and table, a satellite television, a telephone, a tea-and-coffee station, a fridge, a digital safe, and free Wi-Fi. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, super-size washbasin, and walk-in shower, complete with hairdryer and complimentary toiletries. The family option benefits from all these features, plus a twin room for children on the loft floor, at mezzanine level. All rooms have access to a private balcony – some overlook the courtyard, while others have views of a car park opposite. One standard room is wheelchair accessible, and there’s an adequate mobile phone signal throughout the hotel.
The Delight’s communal spaces are located in buildings closest to the junction of Nathaniel Maxuilili Street and Theo-Ben Gurirab Avenue. Visitors enter into the hotel’s reception, a welcoming area featuring the same red-and-turquoise splashes as the guest accommodation – this theme continues throughout the hotel. Adjacent to reception, there’s a relaxing lounge, with well-cushioned seating around a glass-top coffee table. The bar adjoins this area, offering an array of snacks as well as a great range of drinks. The dining room is upstairs, with chic separate tables and upright chairs in a variety of designs and patterns. This is the setting for delicious buffet breakfast every morning, which is European style and involves cold meat, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, and made-to-order omelets from a special stand! Lunches and dinners aren’t available at the hotel, but staff members are happy to recommend local eateries. For example, the ‘Mole’, Swakopmund’s famous harbor wall venue, is home to a fine assortment of restaurants. The hotel does have a conference room, suitable for a maximum of 21 persons.
ACTIVITIES AT THE DELIGHT:
- Friendly members of staff at reception are on hand throughout your stay to advise on excursions and to make bookings where required.
- As well as being close to restaurants, The Delight enjoys proximity to a number of Swakopmund’s shops, cafés, and bars. It’s near the coast too, where you can take lovely beach walks and go swimming.
- Sightseeing tours provide a wonderful introduction to many of the town’s attractions, for example the prison and the library with spectacular tower!
- If you’re hungry for a hit of adrenalin, you can head out to the Namib Desert dunes, for sand boarding, quad biking, and skydiving.
- Wildlife lovers will have a fantastic time on desert safari, while fishing and coast cruises are available for travelers who prefer more peaceful pastimes.
- Excursions on offer include days out to Cape Cross seal colony and tours of Mondesa Township. Please contact a member of the YZ team for further information!