Described as the ultimate in classic safari aesthetic, Old Traders Lodge is privately owned and operated. Conference facilities include a meeting room with capacity for a maximum of 100 delegates. The accommodation is booked on a B&B basis, including parking and Wi-Fi.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Old Traders Lodge is situated within Erindi Private Game Reserve, in the Otjiwarongo district of Central Namibia. It can be accessed via road transfer from Windhoek, a journey of 179 kilometers along the B1. You can also fly in, as Erindi has its own airstrip. The lodge is set in well-kept gardens and on the banks of a river. The views are great!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT OLD TRADERS LODGE:
Guest accommodation here comes in six categories of suite – Standard, Family, Luxury, Superior, VIP, and Livingstone. All are air-conditioned. Most suites are found within a row of buildings set out along the river banks, with views of a popular waterhole. The Standard option is the smallest, but it has everything you need for a comfortable stay – double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a small seating area, a satellite television, a tea-and-coffee station, a mini-bar, a safe, and a full bathroom with hairdryer. Family Suites consist of two Standard Suites with an interleading door. One bedroom has a double bed, the other has twin or triple beds, and there’s a shared shower room. Cots are available. Travelers choosing a Luxury Suite enjoy all the amenities of the Standard Suite, on a more spacious scale. In addition to a larger lounge area and a bigger TV, there’s an optional sleeper couch and a private patio! The Superior Suite has even more room for maneuver and includes a small library, complimentary bathrobes and slippers, and complimentary sherry. If you’re after something pretty special, you could consider the VIP Suite, which features outdoor shower, splash pool, deck, and fireplace! And the Livingstone Suite boasts private entryway, wooden deck, wraparound glass doors, leather tub chairs, Persian carpets, open-plan living area, kitchenette, and jet-powered splash pool complete with sunloungers – the ideal accommodation for a safari of a lifetime!
The communal spaces at Old Traders Lodge are for the most part set out in a classic timber, stone, and thatch structure close to the river and waterhole. At the heart of the lodge is its sumptuous restaurant, furnished with dark-wood variously sized tables and well-padded diamond-pattern upright chairs. Chandeliers are suspended from the open ceiling, and an array of interesting artwork and artifacts adorns the walls. Here guests tuck in to delicious breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. The restaurant flows out onto a terrace for al fresco lounging and dining – this has fabulous views of the water, and you can enjoy spotting elephant, hippopotamus, crocodile, and lots of bird species! Travelers here on business have access to a large air-conditioned meeting room, which is fully equipped with lectern, flip chart and pens, overhead projector and screen, a PA system, and much more besides. Finally, the lodge has a lovely swimming pool, the perfect place to cool off in between trips into the private reserve!
ACTIVITIES AT OLD TRADERS LODGE:
Old Traders Lodge offers an amazing range of activities.
- The category Drives alone comprises eight options – guided game drive, private game drive, under-6’s game drive, day trip game drive, summer night drive, guided open truck game drive, leopard project drive, and self-drive routes.
- It isn’t an exaggeration to suggest that there’s a game drive for everyone here! There’s a lot to see, too.
- Erindi Private Game Reserve comprises some 710 square kilometers of savanna, woodlands, and rivers, all fascinating to explore.
- Among species you can expect to see are lion, leopard, cheetah, wild dog, rhino, elephant, giraffe, blue wildebeest, kudu, gemsbok, honey badger, hippopotamus, crocodile, and baboon. There are hundreds of birds as well.
- Of course drives accompanied by a guide are a great opportunity to get to know the reserve and its inhabitants intimately, but the reserve’s self-drive routes have been designed to make sure that independent safarists enjoy exciting sightings too.
- The Walks category also has a lot of options – guided bush walk, winter morning walk, San village trip, Bushman art walk, art valley climb, leopard project walk, cheetah walk, and Old Traders guided walking trail.
- These present opportunities for very close encounters with wildlife as well as fascinating cultural tours. In addition to conserving the leopard and cheetah of the reserve, Old Traders is currently running projects for many other species – if you are interested in further details, simply get in touch with a member of the YZ team!
- The lodge also offers fantastic photographic safaris.