Mboko Camp is an excellent option for travellers seeking comfortable accommodation and wonderful wildlife experiences in Odzala–Kokoua National Park. Situated close to a ‘bai’ – a shallow depression full of herbs and sedges – the camp provides some fantastic sightings of the park’s herbivores, such as forest buffalo. Activities centre on wildlife watching, and a stay at Mboko can be combined with a few days at sister camp Ngaga where the focus is gorilla treks! However, please note that, whereas Mboko accepts children as young as 2 years, the minimum age requirement at Ngaga is 15 years.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Two options are available for guests travelling to Odzala–Kokoua from the Republic of the Congo’s international airport in Brazzaville. Two-hour charter flights depart from Monday to Thursday, while private flights are possible for Friday and the weekend. The alternative is to catch a ride on Odzala Discovery Camps’ own Toyota Coaster bus – this is a 12-hour journey that involves a river crossing by ferry! Once you have arrived at Mboko, you can take time to relax and enjoy your surroundings.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MBOKO CAMP:
The camp occupies a pleasant site close to the River Likeni and overlooking a bai. Guests can enjoy sightings of elephant and buffalo while sitting comfortably in Mboko’s lounge and dining areas. Both are found in a timber-and-thatch structure, which blends beautifully into the landscape. The lounge features plenty of well-cushioned seating around coffee tables, a bookcase with some interesting reading material, a few intriguing artefacts on the walls, and the camp’s bar in the corner. In the dining area, there are tables of various sizes flanked by smart rustic chairs. Both spaces flow out onto a deck, where guests can watch the local wildlife, gather around a fire, and do a little stargazing come nightfall. Mboko also has a river deck, perfect for observing Odzala–Kokoua’s waterworld!
Guest accommodation at Mboko consists of 12 canvas cabins, all with lovely views of the river. Each is positioned a short distance from the communal building, along raised walkways. Ten cabins sleep a maximum of two persons, and the remaining two are for family use. A few steps lead up onto a private veranda, set with comfy chairs and a small table. Inside every standard cabin, there’s a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk and chair, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, washbasin, and shower. The family cabins benefit from all these features, as well as an extra bedroom for children. Both types of cabin also have mosquito nets and a fan. There is no safe, but guests can store valuables in a central secure unit.
ACTIVITIES AT MBOKO CAMP:
- Mboko offers a great range of activities, focused on seeing the wildlife of Odzala–Kokoua.
- The camp’s game drives take place by day and by night, over the park’s sprawling savanna. You can look out for buffalo, bushbuck, Grimms’ duiker, and plenty of birdlife!
- At night, hyena, serval, and aardvark can be spotted lurking in the shadows.
- Walking safaris are also available – and often these become ‘wading safaris’, with guests traversing bais and streams. Aluminium boats or kayaks are used to provide additional aquatic experiences, featuring red river hog, slender-snouted and dwarf crocodiles, and an assortment of primates visible in the riverine forests.
- Guests who enjoy biking can take up opportunities to mountain bike between Mboko and fellow Odzala Discovery Camps property Lango.
- And there are a number of adventure trails, set up along the treeline to provide insights into life in the forest – fascinating for keen safarists!
The game drives, walking safaris, and boat trips from Mboko are led by highly knowledgeable and experienced guides. Their level of expertise makes for thrilling times in Odzala–Kokoua, as every day brings new sightings of wildlife.