At YZ, we’re pretty keen on the Nasikia portfolio, which features camps and lodges in the Serengeti and Tarangire national parks. To date, we haven’t received much information about Mandhari Lodge, but based on our experience of Nasikia’s other properties we’re very excited about it. The accommodation will most likely be booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, a selection of activities, transfers between the lodge and Lake Manyara Airport, Wi-Fi throughout the lodge, and a laundry service. And the lodge will be open throughout the year.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Most travellers will access the lodge via road transfer from Lake Manyara Airport, although some will arrive by road from Arusha, which takes around two-and-a-half hours. The site of Mandhari is high up on the Manyara Escarpment, with spectacular views of the Great Rift Valley.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MANDHARI LODGE:
There will be four types of guest accommodation. Solos and couples will be well served by the lodge’s nine glass-fronted standard suites. Honeymooners will enjoy the romantic honeymoon nest suite, while families of up to four persons will love the family suite, with divider between rooms. Finally, for a group of friends and/or family members, there’ll be the four-bedroom Nasikia Villa. Capable of sleeping up to eight travellers, this will come complete with a private plunge pool. Arrangements for disabled travellers will be available on request, and all options will boast beautiful unobstructed views. In fact, Mandhari means ‘view’, ‘scenery’, or ‘landscape’ in Swahili, and the vistas on display will range from the lakes in Manyara and Natron to the majestic Monduli mountains! At present this is all the information we’ve received about the accommodation categories, but we’ll update it as soon as we can.
The communal facilities at Mandhari Lodge sound just as enticing as the guest accommodation. The reception, lounge, dining space, bar, and swimming pool are together described by Nasikia as a large core gathering area. This will take the form of a spacious eucalyptus platform, gorgeously presented with handcrafted items and woven objects. Views from the platform should be absolutely breathtaking, whether you’re marvelling at the sunrise during breakfast or watching the sun set at the end of your day. The outdoorsy feel of the lodge will likely be enhanced by its appearance, as it has been built using entirely locally sourced materials. Finally, staff will offer spa treatments – again, we’ll update this section once we’ve received further details.
ACTIVITIES AT MANDHARI LODGE:
Mandhari Lodge will provide an exciting variety of on-site activities and excursions farther afield:
- Highlands hiking – The lodge’s lofty position on the Manyara Escarpment will be perfect for hikes in the scenic highlands! Don’t forget to bring your binos, to enjoy the finest views.
- Tinga Tinga painting lessons – A painting style that spread to most of East Africa from Oyster Bay in Dar es Salaam, Tinga Tinga is particularly popular in Tanzania. Begun in the second half of the twentieth century, it’s named after its founder Edward Said Tingatinga and uses bicycle paint on masonite to create very colourful scenes! These usually include the Big Five and other well-known species, and the paintings are small and easy to transport.
- Swahili cooking lessons – Foodies of all levels of experience will be invited to learn or refresh a few techniques in the lodge’s kitchen. We hope there’ll be plenty of tasting sessions too.
- African drumming and dancing – Why not let out your inner performer, throwing a few beats or making a few shapes in this vibrant setting? For a little downtime, yoga is available too.
- Excursions – Mandhari looks set to be a superb base from which to head out and explore Lake Manyara, Tarangire National Park, and the world-famous Ngorongoro Crater! From the lodge, it’s just 10 minutes’ drive to the Lake Manyara Gate and 45 minutes to the Crater Gate. If you’re interested in visiting any of these safari areas during your stay here, please get in touch with a member of the YZ team.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.