Five Volcanoes is a brilliant base for exploring Volcanoes National Park – not only to check out the gorillas, but to see golden monkeys and enjoy canoeing and cycling too.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The Hotel is just over 80 kilometres from Kigali International Airport.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT FIVE VOLCANOES BOUTIQUE HOTEL:
Constructed from timber, stone, and thatch, it has the look of a classic safari property, a look we like at YZ! The communal lodge contains the lounge, restaurant, and bar area, in an informal yet elegant arrangement. In the lounge, there are several comfy sofas. The restaurant is set up with separate tables for fine dining, while the bar has a rustic style with its line of high wooden chairs. From all areas, you can enjoy beautiful views out to Five Volcanoes’ immaculately kept gardens and to the national park beyond. Within the gardens, hammocks provide pleasant places to relax – or for the ultimate in winding down, you can visit the massage hut! There is also a fireplace and a spacious swimming pool.
Guest accommodation at Five Volcanoes comes in five categories – Standard Room, Deluxe Room (Double), Deluxe Room (Twin), Family Suite, and VIP Cottage. All are very well appointed, with television, free WLAN, tea- and coffee-making facilities, mini-bar, and hairdryer. The en-suite facilities include flush toilet, washbasins (single for Standard Room), and walk-in shower. All options bar the Standard Room also have air conditioning. The Family Suite boasts two large bedrooms, both en suite, and a shared lounge. And the VIP Cottage also has two big en-suite bedrooms, together with a living area that includes a dining table for a maximum of six persons. The décor throughout is chic yet homely, and all accommodation is set in the garden grounds.
ACTIVITIES AT FIVE VOLCANOES BOUTIQUE HOTEL:
- The most exciting activity available from Five Volcanoes is, of course, gorilla trekking!
- The Hotel organises long hikes through the mountain forests of the national park, with the aim of enjoying a whole hour in the company of the resident gorillas. At present, the park is home to ten habituated groups of gorillas, within over 8,000 square kilometres. Although encounters are not guaranteed, the chances of seeing one of these groups are good, not least because of the high standard of guiding.
- Golden monkey trekking is also on offer, and during any trek you might well spot other local wildlife such as forest elephant, giant forest hog, bushbush, bushpig, and an impressive assortment of birds!
- Five Volcanoes teams up with Kingfisher Journeys to offer canoeing too – you can choose to start out either in the morning or the afternoon, for a half-day adventure on the river.
- And Rwanda’s Africa Rising Cycling Team has a centre just a short stroll from the Hotel, where you can hire bikes and even book tours with a cycling team member. This is also a great way to explore the area!