It is one of two camps owned by Richard Roberts, who sadly passed away in August 2019, and his partner Liz Fusco. Richard lived in the Maasai Mara since the age of 3 so knew the place very well and his legacy lives on! When it was built, in 2006, River Camp was Richard and Liz’s ‘home away from home’, but since then they expanded the property. Today it is a luxurious safari camp, one of the best in Mara North!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Richard’s River Camp is situated on the banks of the Ntiakatek River, in the Mara North Conservancy.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT RICHARD'S RIVER CAMP:
The main mess tent occupies a section of grassland a short distance from the river, including some indigenous trees. It is open fronted, so guests can enjoy amazing views over the Conservancy, whether they are dining or relaxing in the lounge. The lounge contains lots of comfortable seating arranged around a coffee table for a friendly feel. The palette is mainly neutral and earth tones, with the occasional colourful cushion! Many of the camp’s fabrics and furnishings have been collected by Liz, on her travels through Kenya. The dining room is just as elegant, with director’s chairs surrounding a long table for communal meals. There is also a large drinks cabinet on the back wall. It is possible to dine outdoors too, amidst the wealth of wildlife attracted to the area! The camp is close to the Ngoyani Springs, a reliable source of water for animals.
River Camp’s guest accommodation consists of just seven traditional and individually decorated tents, spaced out among the grasses and under the trees, on the banks of the rushing river. A short flight of steps leads onto a covered veranda with a couple of director’s chairs and a table, ideal for relaxing and enjoying the views! Alternatively, there are swing seats hanging from nearby trees. Inside the tent, there is a seating area with an armchair, a covered table and a chest of drawers, then either a double bed or twin beds. One of the units is effectively two tents in one, intended for family use. The en-suite facilities are located at the back of the tent – they comprise flush toilet, washbasin, and hot running shower!
ACTIVITIES AT RICHARD'S RIVER CAMP:
An exciting assortment of activities is available at River Camp.
- Game drives are possible during the day and the night – and there is loads to see here!
- All Big Five animals roam the rippling plains of the Conservancy, accompanied by countless other predators and herbivores.
- The wildebeest Great Migration occurs from July to October.
- The camp offers birding too, with guests getting acquainted with some 470 resident and migrant species!
- It is also fun to take a number of walks around camp and to visit a local Maasai village.
- Guests hoping to explore farther afield might like to consider a hot air balloon safari and even a day trip to Lake Victoria! Both activities incur an extra cost and must be booked in advance – just contact us for details.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.