Owned and fully hosted by the Dyer family, this eco-lodge offers very comfortable accommodation and has a pleasantly informal atmosphere. In addition to its eight cottages, Borana boasts a private house just 8km from the main site. This is a fantastic option for a large group, as there are no fewer than eight bedrooms! At YZ, we are big fans of Borana Lodge. Luxurious without being pretentious, it also manages to ooze authenticity and the Dyers’ passion for the Ranch really shines through. Highly recommended!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Set on the edge of the Laikipia Plateau with views of Mount Kenya, Borana Lodge is located in a 35,000-acre property in northern Kenya.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT BORANA LODGE:
The main facilities of Borana Lodge occupy two separate sites, one on each side of the hill. The first overlooks a busy waterhole. This is the location of the lodge’s lovely swimming pool, which is flanked by sunloungers, a large daybed and plenty of comfy chairs. Next to the pool is a lounge and bar area, with further seating and wildlife portraits on the walls. There is also a dining area, with a large table and upright chairs for communal meals. The style throughout this site is pleasingly rustic and the facilities are completed by a shop selling curios as well as handmade accessories. The second site contains a huge house constructed from wood, stone and thatch – it even has glass doors and windows! Inside, English country meets authentic Africa, in a large lounge with impressive fireplace, another lounge area, a long bar, and a vast dining room. This is typically where guests come for afternoon teas and pre-dinner drinks. We love the homely feel!
The guest accommodation at Borana Lodge comprises eight charming cottages, positioned well apart within well-kept garden grounds. Each is different in its design, but all use wood, stone, thatch and glass in a manner similar to the country house building. Four cottages are doubles and four are twins – and two have an extra room, to make a family unit. There are two children’s rooms too, available at reduced price. All accommodation features snug rugs, bedside lamps, comfy seating, and ample storage space. Each en-suite bathroom contains flush toilet, twin washbasins, bath and walk-in shower. From a veranda, there are sweeping views of the hillside and waterhole.
ACTIVITIES AT BORANA LODGE:
Activities from Borana are many and varied – and the Lodge benefits from its location within a private ranch!
- Game drives are possible both by day and by night – and vehicles can venture off road to ensure the best viewings. The sprawling plains are home to such mammals as lion, cheetah, elephant, zebra and black rhino, the latter having been introduced a couple of years ago.
- The birdlife is brilliant too!
- Guided walks guarantee close encounters with wildlife, whether the big beasts or the smaller species that might not be visible from the vehicle.
- Guests can also explore the area on horseback, as Borana has three stables! There is a horse or pony for everyone, from beginner to experienced rider, and riding is a wonderful way to get in among the herds.
- Mountain biking is great for venturing farther afield, taking in vast stretches of the bush, while helicopter flights can cover immense swathes of land.
- Other activities include getting to know the ranch, in the company of Michael Dyer; taking a trip to Mount Kenya and staying at a cabin nearby – and even climbing the mountain; learning about local conservation endeavours; and relishing a buggy and quad bike safari!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.