The property first opened its doors to travellers in May 2012, and since then it has gained a great reputation. Karibu is run by Leslie from Corsica and Kevin from New Zealand. Its name means ‘Welcome!’ in Swahili, and guests certainly receive a warm welcome here. Karibu Entebbe is an excellent option for travellers looking for boutique accommodation in this vibrant city.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Karibu is approached via road transfer from Entebbe International Airport, a drive of just 10 minutes or so. It is located on a hillside above the city centre, away from the hustle and bustle while close enough for visitors to access all the main attractions. The property is set back from the road behind a gate. Once the home of Uganda’s president, it is a sturdy stone structure surrounded by gardens.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KARIBU ENTEBBE:
Inside, there is a comfortable lounge, featuring well-cushioned wood-framed seating around chunky coffee tables. The restaurant has chic separate tables flanked by padded fabric chairs, and there is also a well-stocked bar. Guests may also tuck into food and drink on the property’s terraces, while enjoying garden views. Within the gardens, there is a lovely swimming pool complete with inbuilt seating, floating table, and natural rock waterfall – this is the perfect place to cool off with a sundowner after a busy day.
The guest accommodation at Karibu consists of seven rooms, all within the house. Four are on the ground floor and three occupy the upper level, so you can choose between garden and lake-and-garden views. All rooms have a double bed or twin beds, mosquito nets, bedside tables and lighting, storage space, a seating area, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, washbasin, and walk-in shower or bath with shower attachment. Three of the four ground-floor rooms boast double doors onto a private terrace – these are slightly more expensive, as they are more spacious overall.
**Please be aware that the swimming pool here has no depth markings, so take care before you jump in!**
ACTIVITIES AT KARIBU ENTEBBE:
Plenty of exciting activities are available from Karibu.
- You could start by taking a trip to Lake Victoria, to check out impressive concentrations of mammals, reptiles, and birds.
- Entebbe’s botanical gardens are close by the lake, and home to hornbills, Marabou stork, and black-and-white colobus monkey.
- The gardens also host interesting events throughout the year.
- An excursion to the Uganda Wildlife Education Centre will appeal to all wildlife lovers – here, animals rescued from illegal traders or poachers, or found with injuries in the wild, are looked after until they are well enough to return to their natural habitat.
- Visitors can enjoy a general tour as well as a few specials such as ‘Chimpanzee Close-up’ and ‘Keeper for a Day Experience’. Half-day trips to Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary are highly recommended for chimp fans.
- You can also spend a half-day fishing on Lake Victoria, and perhaps end the excursion with a sunset boat cruise.
- Entebbe has a golf course too, set in exotic grounds.
- Travel farther afield, and you can check out the Mwamba swamps, East Africa’s adventure capital Jinja, and even Lake Victoria’s gorgeous Ssese Islands.