Okonjima Plains Camp provides beautiful accommodation with great facilities, a first-rate service, and a unique opportunity to witness big cats – and all without the high price-tag of other places!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The Plains Camp is situated within the secluded wilderness area of the Okonjima Nature Reserve making part of Central Namibia.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT OKONJIMA PLAINS CAMP:
The Camp’s Barn or Lapa, meaning ‘gathering place’, has a modern feel, with its polished flooring, high metal roof, exposed beams and brickwork. This is where you will find the reception desk. There is a gift shop for mementoes and the lodge is wheelchair friendly. Once you have checked in, head through to the bar for a drink – the space is well lit and there is seating at the bar. There are floor-to-ceiling glass windows across the entire front of the building – these give you a perfect view across the endless plains! The dining area has separate tables that are well spaced out, so you have a little privacy, and the room is beautifully decorated in natural shades of brown, green and cream. There is a lounge area too – this has comfortable seating and high ceilings, with fans for those extra-hot days! If you are feeling the heat, head outside to one of the two pools for a dip – or relax in the lush, grassy, shaded seating area.
Okonjima Plains has a total of 24 rooms – 14 Standard Rooms and 10 View Rooms. The latter have a larger bedroom, bathroom and veranda, and are positioned farther apart for added privacy. All of the rooms are spacious, beautifully designed in blues and greens. African artwork and photographs of Okonjima’s wildlife adorn the walls, while woollen rugs and mats cover the floors. The bedrooms have large windows, giving you magnificent views and letting in plenty of light! Each room has two double beds, which can be pushed together for those who want to go king-size. There are ceiling fans, which can be used on the warmer nights. All accommodation offers plenty of storage space, in addition to tea- and coffee-making facilities, a safe, and a telephone for you to contact reception. Head into the bathroom and you will find a toilet, showers and twin washbasins, with large mirrors above and a shaving mirror in the vanity area.
ACTIVITIES AT OKONJIMA PLAINS CAMP:
- There are plenty of activities available from Plains Camp, from guided walks to vehicle safaris.
- There is an abundance of birds in the area, brilliant for birders!
- You can take the ‘Bushman Trail’ and get an insight into how this ancient people set up homesteads, made fire and hunted their prey.
- However, the main attraction has to be the possibility of following and watching big cats, like the beautiful leopard or the majestic cheetah.
- Take one of the guides and a game-viewing vehicle and track these elusive animals through their natural habitat, while keeping an eye out for giraffe and mountain zebra, who also reside in the area.
- If you are feeling particularly brave, you can even track these animals on foot, resulting in close encounters!
- To learn more about the conservation of the wildlife, be sure to include a visit to AfriCat’s Information and Carnivore Care Centre.