Established in 1905, Hansa is the oldest hotel in Namibia! Since 2014, it has been restored and refurbished to superb effect, receiving numerous awards such as a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2016. Well-mannered children of all ages are welcome, with cots and highchairs available on request.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Hansa Hotel is situated at 3 Hendrik Witbooi Street, in Central Swakopmund. It can be accessed via road transfer from the town’s airport, a journey of just 6 kilometres. Alternatively, you can self-drive from Windhoek, or take a taxi or minibus from Namibia’s capital city. Swakopmund can also be approached from Walvis Bay, 35 kilometres away.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT HANSA HOTEL:
Guest accommodation consists of 49 standard rooms, four suites, and five family units. All options are exquisitely furnished! The standard rooms contain a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk cum vanity table with stool, a separate seating area, and well-appointed en-suite facilities. Amenities include air conditioning, underfloor heating, a satellite television, a telephone, free Wi-Fi, a tea-and-coffee station, a safe, and a hairdryer. Guests staying in any of the standard rooms located at the back of the hotel enjoy access to a private balcony with lovely views of Hansa’s gardens! Suites benefit from all the features of the standard rooms in addition to a spacious separate lounge, while each family unit boasts a second bedroom, perfect for children.
The hotel’s communal spaces are also very well presented. Reception is particularly impressive, with its contrast of light marble and dark wood. There are some leather sofas and occasional tables here, providing a sumptuous lounge area. Hansa has a residents’ lounge too, featuring a modest collection of books, wood panelling, and a cosy fireplace. This seating area adjoins a bar, so it’s a pleasant place in which to relax and get to know your fellow travellers. The hotel’s main dining room is the elegant Equestrian Room – here, guests tuck in to breakfasts, as well as dinners such as seafood specialties. Lunches are provided on The Terrace, a less formal yet equally pleasant area in which to dine, with its views of the hotel’s courtyard gardens. The Terrace is sometimes used for cocktail parties, or for receptions for business clients. Conference rooms are also available, and a number of services are on offer throughout the hotel – secretarial assistance, foreign exchange, laundry, dry cleaning, babysitting, courtesy transport, and car wash. You can even order lunch packs, if you are planning on a grand day out in Swakopmund and surrounds!
**For families with children under the age of 6 years, we always request a ground floor room or a room without a balcony for safety reasons. If you stay here with us, please ensure this is what you are given.**
ACTIVITIES AT HANSA HOTEL:
- Due to its central position, Hansa Hotel is just a short stroll from Swakopmund’s shops, restaurants, cafés, and bars.
- It’s also close to the coast, fabulous for beach walks and swimming.
- Sightseeing tours are a great introduction to some of the most famous attractions, not least the town’s prison and its library with spectacular tower.
- Swakopmund Museum is well worth visiting too, as are the National Marine Aquarium and the stunning crystal gallery. Travellers hoping for an adrenalin hit can head out to the Namib Desert dunes, for sand boarding, quad biking, and skydiving.
- Desert safaris are available too! More peaceful pastimes include fishing and coast cruises. And a number of excursions are also on offer, for example to Cape Cross seal colony.
- Staff at Hansa are happy to help you decide how to spend your time here, and they can also make bookings for you.