131 is owned and operated by Mantis, which has a portfolio of five-star properties all over the world, and is an excellent option for a stay in Pretoria, whether you are just passing through or here for a city break.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
131 on Herbert Baker is just 40km from O. R. Tambo International Airport and 10km from both Hatfield Gautrain and Pretoria Gautrain stations. There is a useful shuttle service from the airport as well as free parking for travellers coming by car. The hotel is set back from the street and it feels very private.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT 131 ON HERBERT BAKER BOUTIQUE HOTEL:
Guest accommodation at 131 comprises eight luxurious suites and rooms in four categories – pool-facing room, view-facing room, luxury suite, and presidential suite. Each of the three pool-facing rooms is on the ground floor, with direct access to the garden and swimming pool. There is an extra-length king-size bed, individually controlled air conditioning, heating, lots of storage space, a business desk, a telephone, satellite TV and DVD player, free Wi-Fi, an electronic safe, tea- and coffee-making facilities, and a mini-bar. Every room has a private terrace or balcony. The en-suite bathroom contains flush toilet, washbasin, shower, and separate bathtub. Bathrobes and slippers are provided, as well as a hairdryer. The other room option is the view-facing room – these four rooms differ from the pool-facing rooms only in terms of their outlook, which is a panoramic vista over Pretoria. The luxury suite is on the top floor of the hotel and has breathtaking views over Groenkloof Nature Reserve! It is larger than the rooms and the en-suite facilities include twin washbasins. Finally, the presidential suite has all the features of the luxury suite, plus an open-plan lounge area, a private dining room designed to seat up to six people, and a private bar area!
The restaurant is called Grissini and it welcomes outside guests for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The bar is very well stocked, including premium and imported spirits, and you can enjoy sundowners in the lounge, in Grissini, or on the property’s front lawn for a special view of the sun setting over Pretoria! That front lawn is also the setting for delightful afternoon teas. The conference facilities consist of a boardroom boasting plasma screen, projector, free Wi-Fi, and among many other features. You can even book the hotel for exclusive use. Finally, there is a swimming pool, in a secluded position within the inner courtyard.
ACTIVITIES AT 131 ON HERBERT BAKER BOUTIQUE HOTEL:
- As far as activities are concerned, there is plenty to do in Pretoria.
- You could start with a trip to the neighbouring nature reserve, for game drives, hiking, biking, and horse riding.
- It is common to spot giraffe and zebra here, as well as loads of birds!
- Other hotspots for wildlife include Rietvlei Nature Reserve, the National Zoological Gardens of South Africa, and the Austin Roberts Bird Sanctuary.
- If you like plants, you will love the National Botanical Garden!
- The city’s amazing museums include the Pretoria Art Museum, the African Window Cultural History Museum, and Melrose Museum, a historic house showcasing Victorian to Edwardian architecture and interiors.
- In fact, just a walk around Pretoria presents an opportunity to admire an abundance of interesting structures – the Palace of Justice, the Union Buildings, the Voortrekker Monument, and many more!