OVERVIEW: A family-friendly luxury hotel
Privately owned and run by the Raith family, this property has been converted from a nineteenth-century castle to a characterful boutique hotel! It was refurbished thoroughly in 2009, and today it provides luxurious accommodation and superb service.
A BEAUTIFUL LODGE IN WINDHOEK:
Hotel Heinitzburg is situated at 22 Heinitzburg Street, just 5 minutes’ drive from Windhoek’s center. Windhoek can be accessed via road transfer from Hosea Kutako International Airport, which is about 40 kilometers from the town. Heinitzburg has a distinctive appearance and a steep driveway! Private shuttles are available between the airport and the hotel, and guests can park for free on site.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT HOTEL HEINITZBURG:
The hotel has 16 rooms, all occupying a relatively modern two-storey building within the grounds. Each room is individually decorated, but all have a feeling of grandeur! Mirrors are put to good use to bring in plenty of light and expand the space. There are two room categories – Deluxe and Superior Deluxe. Furnishings common to both options include a king-size bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, seating at the end of the bed, a couple of chairs and a table, and ample storage. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin, walk-in shower for the Deluxe option, and bath with integrated shower for the Superior Deluxe. Each category benefits from a host of additional amenities, such as an air conditioning and heating unit, a flatscreen satellite television, a direct dial telephone, an electronic safe, and a mini-bar.
Hotel Heinitzburg’s communal spaces are found within the converted castle, a short stroll from the guest rooms. They feature a lounge with comfortable seating, a coffee table strewn with newspapers, and an immense fireplace. The hotel also has two restaurants – Leo’s at The Castle for gourmet cuisine and a wonderful view of Windhoek, and Garden Terrace for patisserie selections and sundowners complete with vistas as far as the mountains! There’s a wine cellar too, which contains the widest variety of South African wines in all Namibia, and there’s a meeting room for business clients. Wi-Fi is available throughout the castle building. The hotel’s garden is the perfect place to relax, with its fountains, statues, resident birdlife, and of course the swimming pool. At one end of the pool is a statue of an elephant, squirting water!
ACTIVITIES AT HOTEL HEINITZBURG:
- The hotel is well placed for guests to explore a range of Windhoek’s attractions, time permitting. Staff are happy to make recommendations and bookings for you.
- A local tour, either by bus or on foot, is a great introduction to the city – it usually takes in the city center, the Katatura township for Xwama Cultural Village, a game farm, and the mountains too!
- Windhoek has a few good museums, including Alte Feste and State for the history of Namibia, and Owela for its information on cheetah conservation.
- If you like art, you could visit the National Art Gallery of Namibia, while keen culture fans will appreciate the Franco Namibian Cultural Centre.
- Trips to the city’s botanical gardens are highly recommended, perhaps for a relaxing picnic if you have time.
- Travelers seeking sports activities could head to Avis Dam for mountain biking, canoeing, fishing, and more!
- And of course Windhoek has numerous shops, restaurants, cafés, bars, and cinemas – and nightclubs for night owls.