Service standards at Zambezi Sands are on a par with those of sister lodges Bomani and Camelthorn in Hwange National Park – brilliant! The quality of guiding is first rate and the opportunity to get to know the local area and its peoples is typical of Imvelo, a company so fully invested in responsible tourism. In fact, a lot of the staff at this lodge live in the surrounding villages.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
It is situated in a remote part of Zambezi National Park, right on the banks of the Zambezi River and upstream of Victoria Falls. It is 45 minutes’ drive along the forest route from Victoria Falls town (one-and-a-half hours by river route).
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT ZAMBEZI SANDS RIVER CAMP:
The main lodge at Zambezi Sands River Camp is a spacious canvas tent, raised on wooden decking. This is open plan, home to a lounge, dining room and bar. The lounge has sumptuous armchairs and sofas, ornate lighting fixtures, and ceiling fans. The dining room is spacious and equally well appointed, with separate tables accompanied by very comfortable seating. The bar has a simple yet classy design. All areas open up on to a deck with superb views across the river. The deck contains a bonfire area and more comfortable seating, in addition to a jetty, departure point for many activities.
Zambezi Sands River Camp has nine tented lodges for guests – two doubles, six twins, and one four-bed family unit. The beds have mosquito nets. All tents are located on the banks of the Zambezi, raised on stilts and connected to the main lodge via wooden walkways. They are hexagonal and pleasantly decorated with dark furniture, white walls, neutral-tone rugs and a few brightly coloured cushions. Each includes overhead fans, a lounge area, electronic safe and well-stocked mini bar. The en-suite facilities occupy a separate room in the middle of the tent and consist of flush toilet, washbasin and freestanding bath, with plenty of complimentary toiletries. There are also indoor and outdoor showers. Finally, each tent has its own deck with plunge pool and amazing views of the majestic Zambezi!
ACTIVITIES AT ZAMBEZI SANDS RIVER CAMP:
There is a lot to do at Zambezi Sands River Camp.
- Game drives and game walks with professional guides serve as an exciting exploration of this area of the national park, with its lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, in addition to impressive populations of giraffe, zebra, antelope, eland, kudu, impala and waterbuck!
- Guests also enjoy getting out on the river for guided canoe trips and fishing, viewing numerous hippo and crocodile. Bird species are prevalent here too, making the area a haven for keen birdwatchers!
- We also recommend a sunset cruise among the islands near the lodge, which involves snacks and sundowners.
- Back on land, it is possible to visit the local SidobeVillage, an excursion that includes touring the school and being treated to a performance of songs from the schoolchildren.
- Guests may also tour the Victoria Falls rainforest and pop to the curio market for a bit of shopping!
- At extra cost, activities at the Falls are also available – helicopter flights, white water rafting, bungee jumping, for example.
*This property is unfenced and although animal densities are not that high along this stretch of the Zambezi River, there is always the potential for dangerous game. So if you opt to stay here please always be cautious and look out for wildlife when walking around, especially at night.