The team at Elephant Camp is headed up by Brad and Annie White, both of whom have a lot of experience in the tourism industry. Brad grew up in the area, so his local knowledge is hard to beat! Annie’s additional qualifications in beauty therapy enable the camp to provide spa treatments to guests, in their own suite. A massage is very welcome after an action-packed time at the Falls! The camp is also committed to fine dining, using ingredients from its very own gardens.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The Elephant Camp is situated between the Masuwe River and Zambezi gorges, within a private concession. It is just 10km from Victoria Falls and the spray is visible from its main areas and all its guest tents.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT THE ELEPHANT CAMP:
The main lodge consists of a spacious tent housing a large lounge with loads of comfortable furniture, an elegant dining area, and a central bar with plenty of room to relax. Guests enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi and a good choice of fiction and reference books. All areas open onto a shaded deck with further seating and amazing views across the concession and towards a busy waterhole. This deck is also home to a small swimming pool flanked by sunloungers in addition to a bonfire area – a great place to meet with fellow travellers and exchange stories!
The guest accommodation at Elephant Camp comprises twelve tents, connected to the main lodge along a series of tracks including steps and bridges. All tents face the gorge. They have air conditioning, ceiling fans and mesh windows. The floors are concrete, but rugs and mats lend a homely feel. The décor is contemporary – clean lines and splashes of vibrant colour. Each tent has three areas – bedroom, sitting room, bathroom – separated by sliding doors. Each bedroom has a double bed, mosquito net, writing table and full-length mirror, while each sitting room features a sofa, upright chair, chest, tea- and coffee-making facilities, and mini bar. Finally, each bathroom has flush toilet, deep washbasin, bath, and indoor and outdoor showers – and Elephant Camp provides complimentary toiletries! Outside each tent, there is a private deck and a plunge pool.
ACTIVITIES AT THE ELEPHANT CAMP:
The camp is able to arrange an excellent assortment of activities due to its location so close to the Falls.
- Free of charge, guests enjoy meeting the Wild Horizons elephants, but please note that is the only complimentary activity here. Other action-packed pursuits comprise cable slide, gorge swing and highwire.
- Guests with a penchant for watersports will appreciate opportunities for white water rafting. Alternatively, see the Falls from the air, via a helicopter flight over the area.
- Back in the park, it is also possible to walk with lions, within the Masuwe estate. You can take a day trip to Chobe National Park too.
- Or, for a bit of relaxation, set sail in a cruise boat across the Upper Zambezi and view the wildlife for whom the river is home – hippo, crocodile, elephant, and bird species galore!
- And no stay at Elephant Camp is complete without getting to know Sylvester, the resident cheetah.