The Lodge is suitable for solos and couples alike, while welcoming families and disabled travellers.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Both the Lodge and the House are located within the Matetsi Private Game Reserve, accessible via road transfer from the international airports of Victoria Falls (45km), Livingstone (61km), and Kasane (45km). The Lodge is positioned along the beautiful Zambezi River – in all, it boasts 27km of river frontage!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MATETSI RIVER LODGE:
There are two separate camps, each with communal facilities. These include a mixture of dining spaces and an interactive kitchen, a lively bar, and what is described as ‘an al fresco area that encircles a blazing fire bowl’ – intriguing! As well as all this, there is the Safari Shop, a fitness centre, massage rooms, a rim-flow swimming pool, and conference facilities. Once we have visited, we will provide further details. However, we know that much of the building is inspired by Zimbabwe’s past mining industry – cue plenty of wood and copper touches. The Lodge’s proximity to Vic Falls is also referenced in vibrant blue splashes, while the theme of safari is present in local artworks and some traditional carvings. And there is also a wine cellar, with eye-level vistas of the river. Wow!
The guest accommodation at Matetsi River Lodge comprises a total of 18 tents, 9 at each of the two locations. All are situated along the River, with gorgeous views from a private veranda. Each veranda incorporates a plunge pool! Inside, we understand that the beds can be configured as twins or a double, with enough space to set up a third. The description provided of the guest tents indicates that they use local and repurposed materials, referencing the region’s fishing and basket-weaving traditions. All interiors boast clean lines and an assortment of authentic craft pieces alongside modern amenities such as a safe, a mini bar, a telephone, Wi-Fi access, and a hairdryer. The en-suite facilities feature indoor and outdoor showers, as well as a deep circular bath with views of the Falls! It all sounds very well put together.
ACTIVITIES AT MATETSI RIVER LODGE:
The Lodge is perfectly positioned to offer a wonderful range of activities!
- The Matetsi Private Reserve covers approximately 50,000 hectares, home to huge herds of elephant and buffalo in addition to plenty of predators and loads of other herbivores – lion, leopard, wild dog, hyena, hippo, and antelope species! There are lots of bird species too – 366 at last count.
- An impressive selection of safari activities is included in the price of your stay – game drives, walking safaris, sunrise or sunset boat cruises, birdwatching, fishing, and canoeing on the Upper Zambezi!
- There is also the WILDCHILD programme, specially designed for the youngsters and featuring fishing and cooking.
- Among Victoria Falls activities (not included in the price) are a tour of the area and the canopy, high tea overlooking the Falls, scenic flights, and a whole host of exciting sports such as white water rafting, bungee jumping, zipline, and gorge swing!
- In between activities, the Lodge is a great place to relax. You can take a cooling dip in your very own plunge pool or lie back and enjoy a massage on the banks of the River.
- We reckon the food and drink will be first rate and we are looking forward to getting to grips with the interactive kitchen! Vegetables are sourced from the Lodge’s own garden.
- A childminding service is available and laundry is included in the price.
*This property is unfenced and although animal densities are not that high along this stretch of the Zambezi River, there is always the potential for dangerous game. So if you opt to stay here please always be cautious and look out for wildlife when walking around, especially at night.