All activities involve assistance from a superb team of professional guides – and back at the lodge, service standards are equally excellent. Many employees at Bumi Hills come from the local communities and are very welcoming and friendly towards guests of the lodge. Food and drink are exceptional here – five stars all round! And due to the soothing spa treatments on offer, you really can have the best of both worlds – authentic safari meets laid-back luxury.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
This lodge is situated on a range of remote hills near the north-eastern boundary of the Matusadona National Park, and boasts breathtaking views of the lake below.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT BUMI HILLS SAFARI LODGE:
These views are on show from the main lodge, which houses a large lounge with comfortable seating, a spacious restaurant, a TV room, a games room featuring snooker table, and a terrace bar. The décor throughout is stylish and understated – a neutral and monochrome palette with splashes of blue. Black-and-white wildlife photographs adorn the walls. Outdoors, there is a deck for al-fresco dining and the lodge’s blue-tiled infinity pool surrounded by sunloungers.
The lodge has a total of 10 premium rooms with balconies and uninterrupted views over Lake Kariba. All rooms are air conditioned and include tea/coffee station, mini-bar, electronic safe, and en-suite facilities. The interiors have neutral tones, which really emphasises the colours of the park and lake outside.
ACTIVITIES AT BUMI HILLS SAFARI LODGE:
- The Bumi Hills private concession, though not within Matusadona, is home to loads of wildlife and makes a great destination for game drives and walking safari.
- The elephants here are considered the calmest in all Zimbabwe! Other animals to look out for are lion, buffalo, black rhino, zebra and antelope. There are impressive populations of bird too – over 300 species!
- The lodge’s hides and viewing platforms, dotted around the concession, are brilliant for getting up close to nature and taking some fantastic photographs.
- Guests also enjoy boating safaris and world-class fishing on the lake.
- Cultural excursions comprise visiting a local Tonga village and crossing the lake to Kariba Town to see the Italian Chapel and the Fish Farm. Finally, we really recommend taking up the opportunity to join the Bumi Hills anti-poaching team on a daily patrol – though this is a very physically demanding activity!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.