All gorilla and golden monkey treks, and other activities, are led by knowledgeable guides, who are experts in their field and able to bring you the very best of both Bwindi and Mgahinga. Chameleon Hill Lodge is terrific for travellers who are considering going gorilla tracking and enjoying a lot of other activities too!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
It is situated on the shores of Lake Mutanda, between Bwindi and Mgahinga national parks, and not far from the town of Kisoro in south-western Uganda. This is a beautiful location, with lovely views of the lake, its islands, and hills all around. And in the background, rise the majestic Virunga Volcanoes! The Lodge is accessible via flight or road transfer, for example from Kampala.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT CHAMELEON HILL LODGE:
It is impossible to miss, as it comprises a row of very brightly coloured structures on top of a high ridge! To one side, are the communal buildings. These include three turret-like variations on the rondavel theme, creating the impression of a castle. The interiors are just as colourful. There is a stylish lounge with comfy sofas, a few books, a cosy fireplace, and amazing views of the lake and beyond. The lodge’s dining area contains smart separate tables flanked by upright chairs, and is adjacent to a well-stocked bar! The dining area also flows out on to a deck. Here, you can sit and relax with a drink while enjoying the superb scenery all around you! Teas and coffees are available in the dining area throughout the day, and there is free Wi-Fi throughout the communal buildings.
Guest accommodation at Chameleon Hill consists of ten chalets, spread out along the high ridge. Each is painted a bright colour and surrounded by a fence for privacy. Five are double rooms, and five provide twin beds. An extra bed may be added to a double room, to sleep a child. Amenities include bedside lighting, a wardrobe, a safe, and extra-thick blankets for cooler nights. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin, and shower with hot running water and panorama window view. Bath towels are provided, as is a laundry basket for your clothes to be washed at extra cost. Outside the entrance to each chalet, there is a private garden with a patio – another great place for taking time to admire the stunning scenery!
ACTIVITIES AT CHAMELEON HILL LODGE:
Chameleon Hill offers an excellent assortment of activities.
- Gorilla tracking takes place in Bwindi or Mgahinga, and the starting point within each park is less than an hour’s drive from the lodge. The time required to find the gorillas varies, and the terrain may be quite tricky, but the effort is well worth it! Guests are allocated a full hour in which to observe the magnificent mammals. However, if you opt for Chameleon Hill’s Gorilla Experience, you may spend up to four hours in the company of a gorilla family!
- The same choices apply to golden monkey tracking – a standard trek involves an hour with the monkeys, whereas the Golden Monkey Experience provides up to four hours.
- Lake activities are also available. The Lodge owns the only motorboat on the lake for trips to Skeleton Island, and staff will gladly arrange mokoro excursions too.
- If you like to hike, a grand total of six trails awaits, such as waterfall walks and volcano climbing!
- Additionally, three mountain bike routes are possible, varying in difficulty from easy to challenging.
- And if you are keen to fit in a little culture during your vacation, you will relish opportunities to tuck in to a traditional lunch, help a local farmer, take part in a local market tour, and maybe carve a gorilla mask! The range of things to do from Chameleon Hill is very impressive, with enough variety to keep everyone entertained.