Baker’s Lodge has a lovely location on the River Nile’s south bank. The property is owned and run by Exclusive Camps & Lodges, whose impressive portfolio includes the superb Buhoma Lodge in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. Baker’s Lodge is a high-quality property with one of the finest locations in Murchison Falls National Park.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
This area of Uganda is accessible via air or road transfer from Entebbe International Airport and Kampala, the capital city. The site containing Baker’s Lodge is beautiful and remote, with abundant trees, wildlife-rich wetlands, and direct access onto the Nile.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT BAKER'S LODGE:
The communal building is constructed from timber, stone, and thatch, in the classic safari style. It is also raised above ground level on stilts, to make the most of views across the river. The interiors include a lounge featuring wood-framed well-cushioned seating, chunky coffee tables, a few bookshelves, and vibrant rugs on the floor. This space flows through into the lodge’s comfortable restaurant and bar, which provides three meals daily and a great range of beverages. Guests may also tuck in to delicious food and drink on the building’s terrace. The grounds boast a fire-pit, perfect for getting to know your fellow travellers and exchanging safari stories. Outside dining is available, and there’s a swimming pool too, flanked by sunloungers and parasols. As mentioned above, the lodge can host business events, so please get in touch if you would like any further information.
Guest accommodation at Baker’s Lodge consists of eight suites, all with river views. In common with the main building, each suite is elevated above the ground – this time on sturdy stone pillars. A few wooden steps lead up to a private veranda, which is set with a table and a few chairs. Inside, there is a super-spacious bedroom with double bed or twin beds, bedside tables, solar-powered lighting, mosquito nets, a couple of explorer’s chests, a writing desk and chair, a safe, and well-appointed en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, twin washbasins, shower, and bathtub. There’s free Wi-Fi too.
ACTIVITIES AT BAKER'S LODGE:
From this sumptuous base camp, you can enjoy an exciting mix of activities. Baker’s Lodge has its own jetty and a whole fleet of river boats.
- From here, cruises set off for the spectacular Murchison Falls. You can expect to see Nile crocodile and hippo, and a fine assortment of waterbirds such as shoe-billed stork, great blue turaco, white-thighed hornbill, dwarf kingfisher, and the majestic Goliath heron.
- The riverbanks also attract plenty of wildlife – big game including elephant and buffalo are often spotted quenching their thirst.
- The sight of the falls crashing 45 metres off the rift valley wall is breathtaking, and you can admire it from above as well. This area at the top of the falls has lots of hiking trails, each providing a unique perspective of the cascading water.
- The northern bank of the Nile is the setting for game drives, and the sprawling savanna here is the place to see lion, leopard, more elephant and buffalo, giraffe, hyena, an assortment of antelopes, and ample birdlife.
- Keen fishers will appreciate opportunities for sport fishing in the swirling waters beneath the falls, either from the shore or from a boat in the midst of the turbulence.
- Travellers aged 15 years and over can head to the Bugungu Forest, which neighbours Murchison Falls N.P., for chimpanzee tracking. There are six habituated groups in total, as well as other primates including baboons, blue monkey, and black-and-white colobus monkey.
- Baker’s Lodge offers hot air balloon rides too. This exciting activity begins in the early morning, and depending on which way the wind is blowing you can experience either the falls or the Nile delta, in addition to the north region savanna. The balloon descends onto the plains in time for a hearty bush breakfast – a real treat.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.