The Oyster Bay is owned and operated by the same team behind YZ favorite Beho Beho, in the Selous Game Reserve. Also renowned for its superb service standards, The Oyster Bay is one of the best hotels for stopovers in Dar es Salaam! The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, parking, Wi-Fi, and a laundry service.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The hotel is located on the Msasani Peninsula, north of the center of Dar. It can be accessed via road transfer from Julius Nyerere International Airport, which takes about 50 minutes along Julius K. Nyerere Road. The Oyster Bay is a modern white-painted building, with green-painted shutters set back under archways. It’s set in peaceful gardens, and feels very far away from the bustling city!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT THE OYSTER BAY:
Guest accommodation consists of eight suites, situated on the upper floors of the hotel. All are very spacious and furnished in a contemporary style incorporating a few African artworks and artifacts. Each suite is air-conditioned and contains a king-size bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk and chair, a separate lounge area, and ample storage furniture. Additional amenities include a fan and a plasma screen television, while the well-appointed en-suite facilities comprise separate flush toilet, washbasin, walk-through shower, and freestanding bathtub. French doors lead out onto a balcony with beautiful views over the ocean! A fold-up bed suitable for a child can be added to each suite, and if you’re traveling as a family you could consider booking a couple of suites on the same floor – one double and one twin.
The Oyster Bay’s communal spaces, also air-conditioned, occupy the ground floor, and they too feature modern African décor amidst sumptuous furnishings. Lounge areas include leather and suede seating around coffee tables, and some stunning wildlife photography! The dining room defines chic, with its elegant upright chairs and long table for communal meals. The hotel offers flexibility with mealtimes and can cater specifically for children. Additionally, you can choose to eat with other guests or in your own room. Al fresco dining is available as well, typically on the hotel’s lovely gazebo. From here, you can enjoy views of the landscaped gardens, complete with mature trees, flowering plants, and even some fascinating sculptures! There’s a 15-meter lap pool too, which is perfect for both a refreshing dip and a bit of exercise.
ACTIVITIES AT THE OYSTER BAY:
What you do while at The Oyster Bay depends on the length of your stay here.
- For stopovers, the hotel really is ideal for quiet relaxation before or after your travels elsewhere.
- A shopping center is close by for guests seeking a little retail therapy, and of course, there’s easy access to the local beach.
- If you’re here for longer, you could certainly consider taking a trip or two to some of Dar’s attractions. For example, there’s the House of Art, where you can request a Tingatinga painting of anything you like!
- Within 10 kilometers of the hotel, there’s the National Museum and House of Culture.
- The Village Museum, which showcases traditional music and dance, is also worth visiting.
- You could take a look at some of the city’s markets too, and the peaceful botanical gardens.
- Kunduchi Wet ‘n’ Wild Water Park and Tanzania National Stadium are slightly farther out, but each makes for an excellent excursion if you have time.