YZ recommends Southern Sun for a comfy stopover both before and after vacations in Tanzania’s mainland coast and islands. And it’s very conveniently situated for exploring Dar!
ACCESS AND LOCATION:
Southern Sun can be accessed via road transfer from Dar es Salaam’s Julius Nyerere International Airport, which is located approximately 12 kilometres south-west of the city centre. The property, a modern building, is just a couple of blocks from Dar’s waterfront, in a pleasant and serene area. Guests can park for free!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SOUTHERN SUN:
The hotel has a grand total of 152 rooms and suites. All are chic contemporary in style, and there are three categories – Standard Room, Executive Room, and Suite. Common to all options are air conditioning, satellite television, complimentary Wi-Fi, a mini-bar, tea- and coffee-making facilities, an electronic safe, a hairdryer, and refreshing mineral water. Both the Standard Room and Suite have an en-suite bathroom with bath and shower, while the Executive Room has a shower with amazing views of Dar! The suite options also have a work station, and the Suite boasts its own lounge. Each unit sleeps two adults, with extra cots and beds for youngsters if required. Accommodation for wheelchair users is available too.
Southern Sun’s communal areas include some plush lounge areas and excellent restaurants. We are keen on Baraza Bar, which provides light lunches and dinners from an à la carte menu. The eatery specialises in international cuisine ranging from seafood to steaks! The hotel also has an internet café, as well as a business centre offering car hire, courier, fax machine and photocopier, a smart business lounge, and much more besides. There’s a gym too, featuring running, rowing, and cycling machines. The hotel’s pool, with its comfortable temperature of 25 degrees, is set in Southern Sun’s lovely relaxing gardens. And the hotel’s reception staff offer first-rate assistance throughout your stay here.
**For families with children under the age of 6 years, we always request a ground floor room or a room without a balcony for safety reasons. If you stay here with us, please ensure this is what you are given.**
ACTIVITIES AT SOUTHERN SUN:
- Closer to home, there are ample attractions in the city. A visit to the National Museum is fantastic for finding out all about the history of Tanzania.
- The botanical gardens provide a peaceful spot for a picnic lunch in the sunshine.
- Travellers interested in arts and crafts could consider heading out to the Oyster Bay area, which is home to Dar’s House of Art – here, artists prepare a picture of anything you like, in the Tingatinga oil-painting style.
- Music fans will enjoy traditional performances in the Village Museum, which is a little way out of town but well worth the journey.
- If you have time to explore farther afield, you could head to Dar’s Marine Reserve, which offers sunbathing, swimming, snorkelling, and hiking.
- Tennis and squash courts are close to the hotel, and a golf course is also easily accessed.
For more information, please contact YZ!