Open from mid-June to mid-November, this camp is one of four Serian’s Serengeti properties. The company Serian is owned by Alex Walker, renowned for his exceptionally good guiding. If you would like to witness the greatest wildlife show on Earth in the company of Alex and his first-rate team, Serengeti North is a fantastic option for you!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Ideal for checking out all the majestic mayhem of the Migration from a serene setting, Serian's Serengeti North Camp is located in the far north of the Serengeti plains, just 2km from the Mara River and within minutes of the major crossing points.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SERIAN'S SERENGETI NORTH CAMP:
The camp is positioned in the far north of the Serengeti, upon its sprawling plains. The mess tent is set up in the shade of acacia trees, providing some cooling shade. A few chairs occupy a long veranda, where guests can sit and take in the views. Inside, there are two areas – the lounge and the dining space – separated by the bar. The lounge contains some comfortable velvety sofas and fleece-topped leather pouffes, all around a chunky wooden coffee table strewn with interesting reading material. There are a couple of smaller occasional tables too, as well as a snug rug laid out on the canvas floor. The walls are covered with wildlife drawings, preparing you for those spectacular scenes just a 10-minute drive away! Further wildlife artwork adorns the walls of the dining area, which has a large table and director’s chairs around it, ready for communal meals. A short distance from the mess tent, is the firepit area, the perfect place for enjoying a drink or two and getting to know your fellow travellers!
Guest accommodation at Serengeti North consists of eight tents, connected to the mess tent via paths cleared through the grasses. Each has its own veranda, with chairs, a small table, and a daybed. The interiors include a double bed with wrought iron frame, rather ornate bedside tables with lighting, a writing desk and chair, a large rug, and plenty of storage space. The en-suite facilities are at the back of each tent and comprise flush toilet, washstand with basin and mirror, and classic bucket shower! Overall, the tents have a very traditional feel. Apart from a few splashes of colour, from the pictures built into the bedside tables, the décor is neutral, encouraging guests to focus on the surrounding bushscape!
ACTIVITIES AT SERIAN'S SERENGETI NORTH CAMP:
- Activities from Serengeti North are all about the bushscape – and specifically, those incredible crossings!
- A fab feature of all Serian properties is that each group of guests has exclusive use of a safari vehicle together with guide and spotter – this ensures that you get the most out of your stay, wherever you choose to visit.
- From this camp, game drives take you out to the Mara River, where you can watch 1.6 million wildebeest, zebra, and gazelles hurtling over the rushing waters!
- Crocodiles lie in wait – and scenes of a hapless herbivore being dismembered are not for the faint hearted. The herds also face threats even away from the river, in the form of the big cats. Both lion and leopard are frequently seen here, in addition to elephant, rhino, buffalo – all the Big Five!
- Other great game-viewing areas are the Lamai Wedge (impressive plains close to the Maasai Mara National Reserve) and the Wogakuria Kopjes (rocky outcrops popular with leopard!).
- The birdlife is pretty special too.
- Walking safaris are a wonderful way to check out the local bird species in addition to the plants and insects of the northern Serengeti. There is so much to discover here!
- Your guide will accompany you on bush walks too – and his/her knowledge of this beautiful region will prove absolutely astounding.
- All guides are very approachable, happy to answer any questions.
Back at the campsite, staff members provide a lovely personalised service, creating a real ‘home from home’ feel. The word ‘Serian’ translates as ‘serene’ and this seems particularly apt at Serengeti North, which is a peaceful base from which to ride out and marvel at Mother Nature! The food and drink is delicious and enjoyed as communal meals in the mess tent, with either Alex or another of the awesome guides hosting the table. Electricity is provided by the camp’s 24-hour generator, but there is no Wi-Fi or mobile phone signal. We recommend staying for a minimum of four nights here, to really make the most of your stay!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.