Zuri Zanzibar may be situated on arguably the island’s finest non-tidal beach, but this new luxury resort is set to make all sorts of big waves. The resort is owned and operated by Design Hotels, whose portfolio comprises a staggering 284 properties worldwide, all aiming to provide authentic experiences.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Zuri is located about 50 kilometers from Zanzibar’s international airport. Alternatively, a ferry ride is possible from Dar es Salaam to Stone Town, with subsequent hour-long road transfers to the resort made by hired car or arranged by Zuri’s concierge service.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT ZURI ZANZIBAR:
The resort occupies a broad swathe of white-sand beach, complete with tall palm trees swaying in the island breeze. Most of the communal buildings are found closest to the beach. The artist’s impression of Zuri indicates that materials such as timber and thatch have been used in construction, blending seamlessly with the natural surroundings.
There are three restaurants, all with a bar. Main Restaurant & Bar specializes in international cuisine with local flavors and provides exciting live cooking shows. Pool Restaurant & Bar fuses Southern European and Indian Ocean styles all day every day, while Beach Restaurant & Bar offers an excellent assortment of finger food. Other communal areas include a book and DVD library, a gym, a relaxing spa and spice gardens, and a 32-meter ozone water infinity pool flanked by hammocks and sunbeds – bliss! And the non-tidal beach in front of the resort is the perfect setting for sunbathing, swimming, romantic dining, and even wedding ceremonies.
Guest accommodation at Zuri comes in three categories – Bungalow, Suite, and Villa – and a number of subcategories, so there is lots of choice. The majority of all options boast views to the west, providing breathtaking vistas over the ocean, with some of the bungalows presenting a partial sea view or scenes of the gardens. All categories include air conditioning, unlimited Wi-Fi, overhead fans, satellite television, a DVD player, a games station, an entertainment center, tea- and coffee-making facilities, a mini-bar, a safe, and a hairdryer. Within the Bungalow category, there are four subcategories – Garden, Zuri, Ocean, and Ocean Jacuzzi. These vary in terms of view, floor space, and whether you can book interconnecting rooms – Garden and Ocean are most suitable for families, but if you are traveling with just one child it may be possible to add a bed to all four options.
The bungalows are characterized by cozy décor, spacious private terraces, and well-appointed en suites. We suggest booking the Suite category if you would like more room, as this option benefits from a separate lounge. Additionally, both suite subcategories boast a Jacuzzi! Finally, the Villa category is ideal for guests seeking a very exclusive experience. Each Villa is positioned close to a stretch of private beach and has an open-air Jacuzzi. There are two bedrooms, each with en-suite bathroom, as well as a living room featuring a kitchen corner. The maximum number of guests per villa is six – four adults and two children –, so this is a great option for groups and families alike. The total amount of floor space is an amazing 260 square meters! And guests staying in a suite or villa have access to a private bar.
ACTIVITIES AT ZURI ZANZIBAR:
The quality of accommodation at Zuri is well matched by the resort’s impressive list of activities – there really is a lot to do here.
- For guests who like to get active, plenty of watersports await – diving, surfing, snorkeling, and many more!
- Swimming with dolphins is also available, and you can take to the ocean on a dhow boat for a serene sunset cruise.
- Spice tours are on offer too – this may be a popular option for guests interested in the history of the island.
- You can visit Stone Town, to check out the old town market, slave market and slave chambers, the National Museum, the House of Wonders, Sultan’s Palace, Livingstone’s House, and the atmospheric Old Fort.
- Excursions to Prison Island are possible as well – once a quarantine station for those in the grip of yellow fever, today this is a tourist resort and home to over a hundred giant tortoises!
- Wildlife fans will also enjoy exploring Zanzibar’s mysterious Jozani Forest, where you can look out for red colobus, Sykes monkey, tree hyrax, bush baby, over 60 types of butterfly, and approximately 40 bird species. We recommend including the forest in your itinerary if you have enough time.