Xanadu Villas & Retreat is ideal for travelers considering a very lavish beach break. Privately owned, it offers a fabulous location in the midst of gardens and close to a white-sand beach. Each of the villas has either one bedroom or two bedrooms, so Xanadu is suitable for most types of travelers. And one villa has been designed specifically for honeymooners.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Xanadu is accessed via road transfer from Zanzibar’s international airport.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT XANADU VILLAS & RETREAT:
It is a fairly small yet perfectly formed property, with its six villas positioned around a central lodge. The lodge has been built using timber, stone, and thatch, for a classic beach-chic feel. It is almost entirely open-fronted, providing lovely views of the tropical gardens. The communal spaces include an elegant dining area and a swimming pool that extends into the lodge interior. The outside portion of the pool is flanked by sunloungers, great for relaxing in the heat of the day.
Each villa is individually designed and has its own name. Kimwondo (Shooting Star), a one-bedroom villa, is known as the architect’s favorite for its bold contemporary lines and custom-made cathedral windows! This villa features a king-size bed, a well-appointed en-suite bathroom, and an exterior staircase leading to a terraced lounge and a rooftop plunge pool. Amenities include air conditioning, overhead fans, a kettle, a mini-fridge, a music docking station, and free Wi-Fi. Umande (Dewdrop), another one-bedroom villa, contains the same amenities, but its design involves a dome to let in plenty of light. It may be booked with Alfajiri (Dawn), to provide accommodation for a group. Alfajiri is the honeymoon villa, situated on the seafront and providing a romantic balcony. There are a few little extras in Alfajiri – an espresso machine, a wine chiller, a juice maker, and a gas stove for private dining. The two-bedroom villas are named Korongo (Canyon), Mlima (Mountain), and Mbingu (Heavenly Sky). Korongo and Mlima are referred to as the sister villas, as each boasts a large living and dining area, an outdoor shower, and a private plunge pool. Architecturally, the sisters combine features of the one-bedroom villas, such as the dome ceiling and the cathedral windows. They also provide all the amenities of Alfajiri. Finally, there is Mbingu, which is the most opulent option. Domes, balconies, private pools, exquisite furnishings… if you are looking for something seriously sumptuous, this is it.
**Please be aware that the swimming pool here has no depth markings, so take care before you jump in!**
ACTIVITIES AT XANADU VILLAS & RETREAT:
- Xanadu has a spa, Kiota. Positioned near the beach, this is the place to go for some first-rate pampering – massages, manicures, pedicures, reflexology, and more.
- Alternatively, spa staff are happy to visit you in your villa. Wherever you prefer to unwind, you can look forward to one 20-minute massage free of charge, as part of the package offered by Xanadu.
It also offers an exciting assortment of activities.
- You could start at the nearby beach, relaxing on the pure white sands, splashing about in the sparkling sea, or enjoying some wet-and-wild watersports – snorkeling, sea kayaking, and stand-up paddleboarding.
- Village visits are also available, wonderful for guests who like a little culture on vacation.
- You can check out Zanzibar’s spice farms too, as well as Prison Island and the mysterious Jozani Forest. Bikes may be hired, for you to explore the island at your own pace.
- And at the end of each sun-filled day here, you can take to the waves on a sunset cruise, aboard Xanadu’s own traditional dhow.