Lupita Island is simply idyllic, as a standalone destination or as part of a trip combining a safari with a beach break. There is accommodation here to suit most types of travelers, and children of all ages are welcome.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The island may be accessed via scheduled flight, private charter, or helicopter hire.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LUPITA ISLAND:
As soon as you arrive, you can relax in the resort’s communal lodge, a classic timber, wood, and thatch building. Inside, there is a very comfortable lounge/bar, featuring sofas and armchairs around coffee tables. Lupita Island also has a thatched open restaurant, where you can tuck into delicious food and drink while enjoying lovely views. In the games room, you can play pool, foosball, table tennis, and darts. There’s a gym, too, for guests who like to keep fit, while the lodge’s spa offers a wonderful range of treatments – from massages to manicures. The swimming pool is spacious and surrounded by sunloungers. It is set at a distance from the other communal areas, and also benefits from a swim-up bar. And the boma is where guests gather at the end of each day, for pre-dinner drinks and general merriment.
Guest accommodation at Lupita Island consists of 13 cottages, 12 standards and one for families. The family cottage – known as the Livingstone Suite – can sleep a family of five, and has an additional sleeping area and an extra bathroom. All cottages are positioned amidst forest and boast amazing views. In common with the communal lodge, they have a pleasant rustic style. The four-poster beds have chunky wooden frames. At the foot of each bed there is a large storage chest, bringing to mind the explorers’ era. Other features include bedside tables and lighting, a separate lounge area with a sofa, a writing desk and chair, and a veranda set with two easy chairs and a coffee table. The veranda is completely open, and the perfect place for admiring the scenery. It is also ideal for cooling off in the heat of the day, as it has a bathtub and a plunge pool! Washing facilities within each cottage comprise flush toilet, washbasins, and rainfall shower. And you even have a private butler.
**Please be aware that we are unable to book this property for families with young children under the age of 7 years, for safety reasons relating to the balconies/decks/walkways.**
ACTIVITIES AT LUPITA ISLAND:
Lupita Island provides an excellent assortment of activities.
- The tranquil waters surrounding the island are fantastic for watersports such as scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking, and canoeing.
- You can also enjoy a cruise on the resort’s own boat, the 46 ft Windsor Rose.
- Fishing is available too, in the company of local fishermen.
- Back on land, guests can take plenty of hikes, as the island has an abundance of walking trails. For guests who would like a bit of a challenge, there’s an isthmus linking Lupita to another island.
- Those who relish finding out about the local culture while on vacation will love visiting the neighboring islands, chatting to the inhabitants about their daily lives and checking out a weekly market too.
- Lupita receives visits itself! The Kipili church choir regularly comes to the island to perform songs and dances.
- And you can cross to the mainland, to interact with the people of Kipili and to see the remains of the monastery, which was constructed by the White Fathers in 1890.
- Other extras include an overnight stay in a safari camp in Katavi National Park and a day trip to Katavi as part of private helicopter hire! If you are considering a bush-and-beach break, booking an excursion to Katavi while you are staying on Lupita Island is one of many options we would recommend.