Aiyana is one of our top picks for travelers seeking luxurious accommodation, and oodles of activities, on Pemba. Aiyana has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor and regularly receives rave reviews.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Travelers to Pemba may fly from Dar es Salaam’s international airport (a journey of 1 hour) or the airport on Zanzibar (30 minutes). From Pemba Airport, the road transfer to Aiyana takes approximately an hour and a quarter. A warm welcome awaits all arrivals!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT AIYANA:
Aiyana occupies a particularly scenic part of the island, and the site features white-sand beaches, swaying palm trees, and colorful tropical grounds. The communal buildings are whitewashed structures, positioned to maximize ocean views. The interiors include a shisha lounge area, with comfortable mats and cushions. This backs on to Aiyana Restaurant, where guests can tuck in to delicious international-and-Zanzibari fusion cuisine. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and prides itself particularly on fresh fish specialties! Aiyana’s bar is situated in the property’s beach house – here, you can choose from a selection of cool drinks, beers, spirits, and cocktails, and perhaps find a pleasant spot amidst the terraces to watch the sun set. The lodge has an infinity pool too, in addition to a spa offering a great range of relaxing and revitalizing treatments. And anyone in need of a little retail therapy will love browsing the two shops on site, one stocking souvenir items, and the other exclusive artworks.
Guest accommodation at Aiyana consists of 30 villas, all positioned either side of the communal buildings and benefiting from lovely ocean views. Five categories are available – Prestige, Senior, Ambassador, Royal, and Presidential. All are beautifully furnished. The Prestige is the entry-level option (85 sq. m), with one bedroom, a telephone, a satellite television with DVD, air conditioning, a mini-bar, a safe, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, twin washbasins, shower, and separate bathtub. There is an outside shower too, as well as a greeting pavilion, an outdoor sitting sala, and spacious gardens to the front and rear. The Senior offers all these amenities, plus a lounge. If you are looking for a two-bedroom property, you could consider the Ambassador, which has a long covered veranda and a private infinity pool! Each Royal Villa has three bedrooms, and the Presidential has two bedrooms and occupies an astonishing 340 square meters of floor space overall.
ACTIVITIES AT AIYANA:
The activity options at Aiyana are also very impressive.
- One of the most popular things to do here is diving, as the island of Pemba is renowned for the quality of its dive sites with their pristine coral reefs, clarity, and deep channels.
- Dhow trips are available too, while sandbank trips present exciting opportunities to get close to the ocean and observe some brilliant birdlife! A sunset cruise is the perfect way to end a day of discovery – this activity involves a ngalawa, a traditional sailing boat.
- Back inland, there is no shortage of excursions on offer – to the vibrant city of Chake-Chake, to the town of Chwaka to check out eighteenth-century ruins, and to the fortress of Mkama Ndume.
- Spice farm tours also make for an interesting activity, while wildlife fans will be keen to explore the Ngezi rainforest in the hopes of seeing flying fox and vervet monkeys!
- The essential oil distillery is worth a visit too, and the fish market at Tumbe is recommended for opportunities to purchase fresh catches.
- There really is a lot to do here!