Alexander’s Hotel is ideal for a stopover as well as a longer city break; however, the hotel does not accommodate children, so please get in touch with us to discuss alternatives if you are traveling as a family. For all other types of travelers, the property is an excellent option whether you are just passing through Dar or spending a bit more time in this vibrant city.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Most visitors to Dar will fly in to the international airport, and Alexander’s Hotel is only 20 kilometers by road from Julius Nyerere. Private shuttles are available for US$30, and there is free parking for guests who self-drive.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT ALEXANDER'S HOTEL:
The hotel is a very contemporary building, featuring whitewashed walls, immaculate archways, and chic wooden balustrades. Inside, all communal spaces are very well appointed. They include a lounge with sumptuous seating, coffee tables, and a grand piano. There is also Alexander’s Restaurant, positioned on the hotel’s rooftop terrace and adjoining the well-stocked bar. The restaurant serves food and drink all day, though tables must be booked in advance. Chef’s specialties include Iringa beef and Swahili prawn curry, and all dishes may be enjoyed with wine from the hotel’s cellar. Guests can also relax in the grounds, which feature a spacious swimming pool.
There are 17 guest rooms within the hotel, all with modern furnishings and plenty of amenities to ensure a comfortable stay. Each room is air-conditioned and has a queen-size bed, twin beds, or single bed, plus bedside tables and lighting, at least one lounge chair, and ample storage space. There is also a flatscreen cable television, a tea and coffee station, a mini-bar, and free Wi-Fi. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin, and shower.
**Please be aware that the swimming pool here has no depth markings or 'No Diving' signs, so take care before you jump in!**
ACTIVITIES AT ALEXANDER'S HOTEL:
Alexander’s is well placed for guests to get out and explore Dar, itinerary permitting.
- If you like to shop, several shopping centers are located within a 2-kilometer radius of the hotel. There are markets too, as well as an abundance of restaurants and bars.
- Travelers who appreciate a spot of culture will love visiting the National Museum, which has plenty of information concerning the history of Tanzania.
- Neighboring the museum are Dar’s botanical gardens, which are perfect for a picnic lunch.
- Fans of arts and crafts could consider heading to the city’s Oyster Bay area, for the Nyumba ya sanaa, the House of Art.
- The National Stadium is often the venue for exciting sports fixtures, while the Marine Reserve offers sunbathing, swimming, snorkeling, and hiking too.
- And if you are based here for a few days or more, you could take trips out to the idyllic islands of Bongoyo and Mbudya.