The Silo is perfect for travelers looking for wow-factor accommodation in Cape Town with easy access to all the highlights of the Mother City! Originally a grain silo, it was Sub-Saharan Africa’s tallest building when it was completed in 1924. For almost eight decades, the silo received grain from local farming communities and readied it for international distribution.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
It has a fabulous location on the V&A Waterfront in South Africa's fantastic city, Cape Town.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT THE SILO HOTEL:
Designed by Thomas Heatherwick, of Heatherwick Studio in London, the hotel has a very striking external appearance. The essence of the old silo has been preserved, while the addition of convex windows lends the impression of a lighted lantern or beacon come nightfall. Easily accessible from Cape Town International Airport, The Silo is impossible to miss among the other buildings that contribute to the city’s unique skyline! Airport transfers are arranged by staff and there is underground parking for guests who self-drive. The communal areas include The Silo Café, The Silo Spa, a fitness center, a piano bar, and, on the top of the building, a restaurant, champagne bar, and swimming pool! There are also private meeting rooms and a separate space for intimate private dining.
Guest accommodation at The Silo Hotel comes in seven categories. Each Silo Room boasts spectacular views of the harbor, while every Luxury Room, on the eighth and ninth floors of the building, offers magnificent vistas of Cape Town’s mountains. The Superior Suite option, on floors 6 and 7, has either harbor or mountain views. All of these categories have a balcony, as does each Deluxe Superior Suite, which benefits also from a particularly generous spread of those convex windows! Every Family Suite has views of either the harbor and the mountains or the Waterfront and Signal Hill – and these suites also have a balcony and a mezzanine level with two bedrooms. If you like your accommodation super-spacious, we recommend the triple-aspect Royal Suite. This has two bedrooms and a large balcony where you can gaze out at the Atlantic Ocean and Robben Island! Finally, for the ultimate in luxury, there is the one-bedroom triple-aspect Penthouse, with 24 square meters of balcony inviting you to marvel at Table Mountain. All options are very well appointed. Individually designed and decorated by Liz Biden, they feature comfortable beds and bedding, elegant lounge furniture, and exceptionally glamorous en-suite bathrooms!
ACTIVITIES AT THE SILO HOTEL:
- The Silo’s fantastic position so close to the V&A Waterfront guarantees easy access to the most vibrant area of Cape Town. With its shops, cafés, restaurants, and galleries, the Waterfront has something for everyone to enjoy!
- From here it is just a short boat trip to Robben Island, and the Two Oceans Aquarium is only a few minutes’ walk away.
- If you are feeling energetic, you can hike up the famous Table Mountain – alternatively, take the cable car all the way to the top! The views are simply spectacular.
- Other attractions worth visiting include Bree Street and Kloof Street for the buzz of city life, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens for a peaceful stroll amid some seven thousand species of plant, the gorgeous beaches all along the coast, and any number of destinations for a grand day out – Cape Point and Boulders Beach, the wonderful Winelands, and even cage diving with great white sharks at Gansbaai!
- The Mother City hosts all sorts of sporting events too.
- And of course, you can just pop downstairs to check out the Zeitz Museum!