Located in Plettenberg Bay, we'd recommend Periwinkle Guest Lodge to travellers who would like to explore Plett from a very comfortable seaside base! As well as beautiful beaches, this area of South Africa has a great range of things to do and places to visit.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Plettenberg Bay, termed ‘Plett’ by locals, is accessible by road or air, from both Johannesburg and Cape Town. If you opt to fly here, the distance from the airport to Periwinkle Guest Lodge is a mere 5.6 kilometres along Robberg Road.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT PERIWINKLE GUEST LODGE:
The building has three storeys and is very contemporary in style. There is room to park in the driveway, and steps lead up into the communal areas. These include a lovely lounge, which has plenty of comfortable furniture positioned around a coffee table made from glass and wood. There is also a very spacious open-plan kitchen/diner, flowing out onto a deck that is the perfect location for breakfast every morning! The kitchen includes an honesty bar. All main spaces are enhanced by fabulous views out to the seas surrounding the Robberg Peninsula and the Tsitsikamma Mountains beyond. The lodge décor has a bright-and-breezy feel that is very much in harmony with the seaside surroundings! Guests who like to keep active while on vacation will appreciate Periwinkle’s well-equipped gym, while those who enjoy a spot of pampering will love the property’s sauna and spa. For further relaxation, there’s a charming little courtyard and a swimming pool flanked by sunloungers, where you can chat with fellow travellers, get stuck in to a good book, or doze off in the sunshine!
Guest accommodation at Periwinkle consists of seven rooms in total, but we do not recommend the standard room because it has only partial sea views! All six superior rooms provide uninterrupted vistas of the ocean from a private balcony. With the exception of Room 1, which contains a queen-size bed, each superior room has twin beds that can be configured as a king-size bed. Each has bedside tables and lighting too, plus comfy seating, a direct-dial telephone, a television, a tea-and-coffee station, a mini-bar, and a digital safe. The décor is similar in style to that of the main areas – bright and breezy! Three of the superior rooms boast a Jetmaster fireplace! The en-suite facilities are very well appointed, with flush toilet, twin washbasins, freestanding bathtub, and separate walk-in shower. Some en-suites even have overhead fans and underfloor heating, and all benefit from heated towel rails and a handy hairdryer.
**For families with children under the age of 6 years, we would not recommend this property for safety reasons, due to the balconies.**
ACTIVITIES AT PERIWINKLE GUEST LODGE:
Periwinkle Guest Lodge is excellently placed to offer a wide range of activities.
- You could start by crossing the road to the beach! The Robberg Peninsula is well worth a visit, as it is home to a first-rate nature reserve.
- You can take a walk or hike along cliff paths and look out for such marine species as whales, sharks, seals, and dolphins, in addition to a vast variety of birds!
- Other excursions popular with wildlife lovers include a trip to Birds of Eden, which is just a short drive out of town.
- Monkeyland is also pretty special, as is Lawnwoods Snake Sanctuary.
- Sports on offer in the region include boating, fishing, surfing, tennis, and bowls. You can embark on an ocean safari, marvelling at the residents of the sea and the majestic mountain scenery. Golf fans will be happy to discover that Plett has two golf courses, both very scenic. There’s another course out at Knsyna, which is 33 kilometres away.
- Also available within a similar distance are horse riding, polo, and river cruises. And Plett itself has ample attractions, not least its selection of shops, cafés, restaurants, and bars!
Staff members at Periwinkle Guest Lodge are happy to help arrange all of these activities, as part of the superb service they provide. There is a wonderful homely vibe about this beach lodge – Beachyhead is a fantastic setting from which to explore Plett and farther afield. The accommodation is booked on a B&B basis, and breakfast includes both hot and cold options. Guests pay extra for drinks from the honesty bar, and a laundry service also incurs an additional charge.