This little lodge has a lot to recommend it! We love the authenticity-meets-luxury style of the accommodation and those honeymoon suites are ideal for guests who like plenty of privacy - an impressive new addition to the reserve!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Makanyi Lodge is located adjacent to the Kruger National Park, in the southern sector of the Timbavati Reserve.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MAKANYI PRIVATE GAME LODGE:
The main lodge is a characterful building with wood floors, stone walls and a thatched roof. It has amazing views over the Timbavati Reserve. Inside, there is a very comfortable lounge with leather and fabric sofas and armchairs positioned around coffee tables, with plenty of large lamps generating a rich golden glow come night-time. This area has a fireplace too, providing a snug environment when the weather turns chilly! The dining room and the bar are tucked either side of the lounge – the dining room has a long table surrounded by elegant upright chairs for communal meals, while the bar is great for mingling with your fellow guests! A short flight of stairs leads up to a loft – this has further comfy seating and shelves full of interesting books. Back downstairs, all main areas flow out onto a deck incorporating Makanyi’s swimming pool, lots of sunloungers, and tables and chairs for outdoor dining. As well as all this, there is a spa, a fully equipped gym, and a curio shop selling an excellent range of souvenirs!
The guest accommodation at Makanyi consists of seven suites, including two honeymoon suites. All are constructed from wood, stone and thatch and overlook a nearby dam, a spectacular feature of the landscape. Each standard unit boasts a spacious double bed, bedside tables with lamps, a writing desk and chair, a lounge area including a cosy fireplace, and a private deck with relaxing sunloungers and an outdoor shower. The en-suite bathrooms comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, shower and separate bathtub! There is also a mini bar, tea- and coffee-making facilities, a hairdryer, a telephone and complimentary Wi-Fi. The honeymoon suites are just as well appointed and include a romantic four-poster bed and a private plunge pool on the deck. They are positioned farthest from the main lodge, so honeymooning guests can enjoy ample privacy!
ACTIVITIES AT MAKANYI PRIVATE GAME LODGE:
Makanyi offers a full menu of activities.
- Game drives take place twice daily – morning and afternoon. There is loads to see in the Timbavati! The Reserve covers over 500 sq. km of savanna bushveld and mixed woodland and is home to more than 40 mammal species.
- These include all Big Five, in addition to giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, impala, kudu, waterbuck, warthog, hyena, the endangered Cape wild dog, and even the revered white lion!
- There are also over 360 species of bird.
- Bush walks are another great way to get to know the area, especially for taking a close look at plants and insects – and tracking the region’s rhino!
- Another popular activity is a leisurely fishing trip, usually enjoyed during the afternoon.
- Come nightfall, the stars come out and keen astronomers will love the opportunity to observe the night sky in the absence of any light pollution.
- The lodge also offers photo and art safaris, with photography equipment and art materials supplied.
- And there are numerous ‘Area Activities’ available too, most booked in advance and at extra cost – highlights include elephant interactions, scenic flights, Shangana village visits, and a trip to a local silk farm!