Madikwe Kopano Lodge is one of three properties known together as Madikwe Safari Lodge, situated in the central-eastern region of the malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve. For families with younger children, we recommend Madikwe Lelapa Lodge, which welcomes guests of all ages.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Madikwe Game Reserve is in the north of South Africa, near the border with Botswana and accessible from the international airports of Sir Seretse Khama (15 km north of Gaborone), O. R. Tambo (near Johannesburg), and Cape Town. All of the lodges are located on a gently rolling hillside. Kopano is approached along a neat gravel driveway.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES:
The communal building is a classic timber, stone, and thatch structure, open sided to provide beautiful views across the reserve! The lounge area contains comfortable sofas and chairs around a cosy fireplace, amidst a subtle palette of light yellow and greys. The dining space has elegant separate tables and chairs. Guests may also enjoy meals in Kopano’s fire-pit area, which is open to the sky and makes for a magical setting, especially at night!
Guest accommodation at Kopano consists of four suites, linked to the communal building via pathways through the trees. These suites are spaced 10–15 metres apart, so there is plenty of privacy. Each is a timber, stone, and thatch building, offering 100 square metres of floor space overall. The interiors are open plan, but with the furnishings set up in such a way that every area feels separate. The bedroom contains a double bed or twin beds, bedside and wall-mounted lighting, and a fireplace. This space flows through to the lounge area with its comfy sofa, storage furniture, and various amenities – direct dial telephone, free Wi-Fi, a safe, a tea-and-coffee station, and a mini-bar. The bathroom provides a separate flush toilet, twin washbasins, bath, and shower. All three areas have double doors out onto a deck, where you will find an outdoor shower and a private plunge pool!
Some first-rate activities are available here.
- Game drives take place during the early morning and late afternoon, while bush walks are on offer in mid-morning. Madikwe Game Reserve is a fabulous destination for safari! It comprises over 75,000 hectares of savanna and sub-tropical woodland, rising to hills and majestic mountains.
- All Big Five species are in residence – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo!
- There are lots of other predators and herbivores too, including cheetah, brown and spotted hyenas, wildebeest, giraffe, zebra, and many types of antelope.
- Keen birders enjoy looking out for hundreds of the feathery friends, such as ostrich, bee-eaters, francolins, kingfishers, pipits, storks, and woodpeckers.
- And guests who appreciate a little culture can take a trip to the local Motshabaesi Primary School, which is supported by Madikwe Safari Lodge.