Madikwe Hills Private Game Lodge is listed in the portfolio of Seasons in Africa, a company specialising in deluxe lodges, hotels, and experiences in Southern Africa. The property is made up of Main Camp and Little Madikwe. The latter is an exclusive-use camp with no minimum age requirement. Both camps offer superb service and exceptionally good game viewing! Accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including three meals daily, high tea canapés and snacks, a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, two game drives daily, transfers between Madikwe Hills and the local airstrip, Wi-Fi, and a laundry service. Guests of Little Madikwe have their own team of staff, and both camps are open all year round.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The lodge is accessed via road transfer from Madikwe’s airstrip. It’s positioned on a rocky kopje within the central region of the reserve, surrounded by big boulders and ancient tamboti trees.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MADIKWE HILLS PRIVATE GAME LODGE:
Each guest suite occupies a timber, stone, thatch, and glass structure. Entering through the front door, you’ll find a spacious lounge featuring comfortable seating around a coffee table or flat-topped pouffe, a cosy fireplace, a storage cupboard, and wildlife wall artwork. This space adjoins the bedroom, which contains a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, and mosquito netting. Additional amenities include air conditioning, fans, a coffee machine, a fully stocked mini-bar, a safe, and Wi-Fi. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin, step-up shower, and freestanding bathtub with shower attachment. Sliding doors from the bedroom lead out onto a private deck, which offers a couple of chairs and a small table, two sunloungers, a plunge pool, and amazing views!
The communal lodge at Madikwe Hills is also made out of timber, stone, thatch, and glass, and it’s accessed from the guest suites along raised wooden walkways. The lounge contains well-cushioned sofas and armchairs, smart ottomans, an inviting fireplace, and a medley of artefacts creating an authentic vibe. Guests can also relax in the TV room, which has a selection of reading material as well as a satellite television. Delicious meals are served in the dining room, and the bar provides a very friendly setting in which to get to know your fellow travellers and to taste a few fine vintages from the lodge’s own wine cellar! You can also eat and drink on the viewing deck, and in the traditional boma, complete with roaring central fire. The curio shop sells not only local arts-and-crafts items, but also clothes, shoes, bags, and jewellery. Madikwe Hills has an excellent wellness centre too, offering a great range of spa treatments as well as a fully equipped gym. And there’s a lovely swimming pool, perfect for a refreshing dip in between trips into the reserve! Little Madikwe boasts its own lounge and dining areas, in addition to a private kitchen, library, and deck, complete with pool.
ACTIVITIES AT MADIKWE HILLS PRIVATE GAME LODGE:
- The main thing to do at Madikwe Hills is to explore Madikwe Game Reserve on game drives. These take place twice daily – morning and afternoon – and always in the company of highly knowledgeable and experienced guides.
- Guests of Little Madikwe enjoy the services of a private guide, making for truly tailored vehicle safaris! The lodge is surrounded by 75,000 hectares of savanna, woodlands, kopjes, and mountains, home to a wealth of wildlife.
- All Big Five live here – that’s lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo. Smaller predators in residence include cheetah, spotted and brown hyenas, and rare wild dog, while the herbivore count features giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and numerous antelopes.
- There are approximately 420 bird species too, among them specials such as Gabar goshawk, Kori bustard, white stork, and violet-eared waxbill.
- Fishing is available too, as is archery.
- And there’s also the fantastic Junior Ranger Programme, in which young safarists can get stuck into face painting, bug finding, treasure hunts, and even animal dung investigation!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.