La Plume Boutique Guest House is a really lovely farm property. Whether you are stopping off for a couple of days in Oudtshoorn or for a longer vacation, we thoroughly recommend a stay here! With accommodation ranging from sumptuous rooms to a self-catering villa, it is suitable for solos, couples, groups, and families. There are even honeymoon suites! The philosophy of owners Bartel and Karin involves exclusivity, exceptional comfort, and gracious living. A warm welcome is guaranteed!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
La Plume Boutique Guest House is easily accessible via road transfer from Cape Town, George, and Mossel Bay. A sweeping driveway leads off the main road to the property, which consists of a charming series of converted farm buildings within beautifully kept gardens.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LA PLUME BOUTIQUE GUEST HOUSE:
The gardens include a saltwater swimming pool! Guests choose to stay here on a B&B or self-catering basis and meals are available at the very elegant restaurant. This has shiny wooden floors, sophisticated lighting, homely wooden furnishings, interesting wall art, and a cosy fireplace. Breakfast is served as a buffet, featuring breads, cereals, fruit platters, cold meats, and cheeses, and you can enjoy a delicious evening meal here too. This comprises a four-course home-cooked meal, with delightful local wine! With advance notice, the chefs are happy to accommodate any special dietary requirements.
The guest house boasts a fine selection of rooms, as well as suites, a cottage, and a villa! There are eight units in the Luxury King/Twin Room category, all able to sleep a maximum of three persons on request. As well as comfy beds, each room has bedside tables and lighting, lounge furniture, ample storage space, and en-suite bathroom with flush toilet, washbasin, separate shower, and bathtub. Guests receive free toiletries, in addition to towels, face cloths, bathrobes, and slippers. Other amenities include air conditioning, satellite TV, complimentary Wi-Fi, an electronic safe, an honesty bar, free port, a tea-and-coffee station with rusks, a hairdryer, and a sewing kit. Towels are also supplied for use after a dip in the swimming pool! The rooms have a private veranda too, so you can relax and enjoy views across the grounds. Another excellent accommodation option is the Superior Suite. There are three of these, all located adjacent to the homestead and named after types of ostrich feather – Silver Floss, Stumps, and Sides. Each has most of the amenities of the Luxury/Twin Room, plus some extra floor space for a larger lounge area featuring a chaise longue!
The Honeymoon Suite option is just as enticing, with its king-size bed, scarlet décor, and champagne cooler. The Two Bedroom Cottage can accommodate up to six persons and is perfect for a group of friends or family members. It contains two bedrooms, two full bathrooms, and a kitchenette with two-plate oven and microwave. Finally, the Self Catering Farm Villa is ideal for a farm vacation! This option sleeps a maximum of five persons. It is situated in the midst of alfalfa fields and opposite the farm’s ostrich hatchery, and it has two bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a spacious open-plan lounge/diner, and a fully equipped kitchen. There is also a private veranda – and during the breeding season, young ostriches come close to play!
ACTIVITIES AT LA PLUME BOUTIQUE GUEST HOUSE:
There are loads of activities to enjoy in the area.
- You could start with a farm tour! This is pre-booked and led by Bartel himself. Beginning with early-morning coffee, the tour enables guests to learn about the daily running of the farm and the proper care of ostriches.
- Oudtshoorn town is worth visiting for its C.P. Nel Museum, which has lots of information about the history of the ostrich trade. The town also has a number of boutiques, such as Klein Karoo Ostrich Boutique, which stocks clothes, accessories, souvenirs, and curios.
- If you enjoy animal encounters, you will love the Cango Wildlife Ranch and Meerkat Adventures (a friendly colony).
- The Cango region is also home to Cango Caves, which makes for a truly thrilling excursion!
- Other geographical phenomena worth a look include the mountain passes of Meiringspoort and Swartberg, as well as the wonderful Rust en Vrede waterfall. You can head to the Karusa vineyards to drink in some spectacular scenery and some exquisite wines!
- A trip to Wilgewandel Holiday Farm is fab for families, with its waterslides, camel rides, rowing boats, pedal cars, and ziplines.
- At the end of the day, you can relax at the Magic Moments Dinner Theatre, for an evening of live music and authentic cuisine!