Kensington Place is privately owned and run. Both trendy and tasteful, with clean lines and enticing textures, it also has a very special atmosphere. Service standards are excellent! The accommodation is booked on a B&B basis, including membership of the local Virgin Active gym, parking, and Wi-Fi. The hotel is open all year round.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The hotel can be accessed via road transfer from Cape Town International Airport. It’s situated on the slopes of Table Mountain within Higgovale, a pleasant suburb of the Mother City. From here, it’s a short distance to Kloof Street, for a great range of boutiques, restaurants, and cafés.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES:
Guest accommodation consists of eight suites, all spacious and luxuriously styled. Each contains a king-size bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk cum vanity table and chair, a sofa and coffee table, and ample storage space. In-room amenities include telephone, mini-bar, safe, iPod docking station, and complimentary Wi-Fi. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, large washbasin with mirror over, and bathtub with shower. Wide doors lead from the bedroom onto a private balcony, where you can relax and enjoy amazing views!
Kensington Place’s communal spaces include its deluxe lounge, which features a medley of settees, chairs, and a chaise longue, as well as various coffee and occasional tables, and a cosy fireplace. The dining room, with bar, epitomises chic contemporary, its individual glass-topped tables exquisitely laid with brocade fabric in readiness for delicious meals. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are available throughout the day (7:30–22:30, plus room service), and the hotel’s chef uses fresh and locally sourced ingredients to rustle up tantalising seasonal dishes. Both lounge and dining areas flow out on to a wide terrace, where you can relax and tuck in to tasty fare while enjoying views of Cape Town, the harbour, and the mountains surrounding the Mother City. The hotel has an inviting plunge pool too, and keep-fit fans can join the local Virgin Active gym during their stay, for free! Beauty treatments can also be arranged for you.
The hotel has a dedicated concierge team. Its members are happy to advise you on making the most of your time in Cape Town, and also to organise all the activities and excursions you could desire! Here’s a summary of the Mother City’s main attractions:
- Table Mountain Aerial Gateway – a trip up the famous mountain by cable car, to enjoy amazing views!
- Cape Point – an excursion to Africa’s south-western tip, renowned for the quality of its beaches. While you’re here, you could also visit Boulders Beach to see plenty of penguins, and Simonstown or Fishhoek for a little culture too.
- Robben Island – situated approximately 7 kilometres off the coast, this is where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 of his 27 years behind bars. The island is accessed from Cape Town’s V&A Waterfront.
- V&A Waterfront – no stay in the Mother City is complete without at least one afternoon spent exploring the V&A’s shops, markets, eateries, and bars!
- Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens – full to the brim with indigenous flora, these gardens never fail to thrill, and they’re a great destination for a picnic lunch.
- District Six Museum – a fascinating exhibition of images, artefacts, and recordings, a lot of them provided by the district’s ex-residents.
- Castle of Good Hope – South Africa’s oldest building, this pentagon-shaped building houses the Castle Military Museum, a must-visit for history fans.
- Houses of Parliament – another attraction for history buffs, the houses offers guided tours, hearing attendances, and watching debates from the gallery.
- Cape Town International Convention Centre – the Mother City’s stunning venue for concerts, trade shows, and festivals. 2Inn1’s staff will let you know what’s on here during your stay!
- Camps Bay Beach – possibly Cape Town’s most glamorous sandy spot, Camps Bay is brilliant for beach activities, fine dining, or simply soaking up some sun.
- Clifton Beach – not far from Camps Bay, this sheltered series of four coves is a top pick at YZ. And 4th Beach is adjacent to La Med, our go-to for sundowners every time.