Auberge Clermont is an excellent option if you are looking for B&B accommodation in The Winelands. It is one of those properties that simply oozes charm.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
It is a working farm, just minutes from the centre of Franschhoek village. The farm orchards and vineyards are surrounded by majestic mountains! Auberge Clermont is accessed via a road transfer of approximately one hour from Cape Town International Airport. Both the main house and the guest accommodation are converted farm buildings, with features such as painted walls and shutters adding plenty of appeal.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT AUBERGE CLERMONT:
The communal areas include a homely lounge, with comfy seating around a cosy fireplace. There is also a delightful dining room, flowing out into an attractive courtyard garden. Food and drink is served under the property’s big 18th-century oak trees too – these stand a short distance from the buildings and provide lots of cooling shade. The grounds also contain a tennis court, a small swimming pool, plum orchards, and extensive vineyards. A river runs alongside the oaks, creating a beautiful location for a simple stroll. It really is very pleasant here!
Guest accommodation at Auberge Clermont is every inch as comfortable as the communal areas. Each of the six rooms is within the farm buildings and individually decorated in a style reminiscent of the French region of Provence. You can opt for a garden room, a loft room, or the lovely Honeymoon Suite. Furnishings include comfy beds with crisp linens and wrought-iron or padded bedstead, bedside tables and lighting, ornate chests of drawers, a small table and chairs, and fragrant fresh flowers. There is a great range of amenities too – air conditioning, under-floor heating, ceiling fan, telephone, satellite television, snug heated towel rails, tea- and coffee-making facilities, and a mini-bar. The self-catering villa, which is converted from the original 1862 farmhouse, boasts all of these amenities, in addition to a private swimming pool! It sleeps six people and has two bedrooms and two bathrooms on the ground floor, then a large loft room and en-suite bathroom upstairs. There is also a lounge, a dining room, a fully equipped kitchen, and even laundry facilities!
ACTIVITIES AT AUBERGE CLERMONT:
- Days may be spent enjoying the farmhouse and grounds, and getting out to explore the local area.
- Several impressive wine estates are not too far from Auberge Clermont and there are enough award-winning restaurants and cafés in the village to satisfy the most discerning gourmand!
- There are some speciality shops too, as well as art galleries to fill an afternoon.
- One amazing museum transports you back to the Huguenot beginnings of the Winelands. Golf is possible at two courses in the region – Pearl
- Valley and Boschenmeer. You can also do a spot of hiking, some cycling, and horse-riding too!
- And Clermont produces its own olive oil – you can enjoy a fascinating tour of the olive orchard and mill.