Sossus Under Canvas is the newest offering from Ultimate Safaris, specialists in privately guided safari experiences for both individuals and small groups. The property is due to open in April 2018, and we are very excited about our first visit! The price of a stay here includes accommodation, three meals daily, all local drinks, and activities. Sossus Under Canvas welcomes guests from April to November every year.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Most travelers enter Namibia at the international airport, Hosea Kutako. From here, you have easy access to Windhoek or Swakopmund – and from these towns, it’s possible to approach Namib-Naukluft National Park, for Sossus Under Canvas, via road transfer. You can also fly in by light aircraft, touching down at the camp’s nearest airstrip. The camp is approximately 15 kilometers south-west of the national park’s main entrance at Sesriem.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SOSSUS UNDER CANVAS:
Guest accommodation consists of eight tents, including two for family use, set up on either side of the camp’s communal structure. The tents are Meru in style, which means that they have two layers – the outer layer extends across the inner layer to form a veranda at the front. The roofs are made from oil drums, giving each tent the appearance of a pangolin! Tents also have a natural stone wall on the east side, to protect against strong eastern winds. Each standard unit contains a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, and plenty of storage space for your clothes and other belongings. The en-suite facilities comprise open-air flush toilet, washbasin, and classic bucket shower! Family tents benefit from all the features of the standard tents, in addition to a second bedroom for children.
The camp’s communal areas are found in an L-shaped building roughly at the center of the site. This is made out of recycled materials, blending well with the surrounding landscape. In common with the guest tents, it benefits from natural stone walling and oil drums for a roof. Inside, you’ll find a lounge area, featuring comfortable seating around coffee tables. There’s a dining area too, where guests tuck in to delicious meals – hot breakfasts, freshly prepared lunches, and three-course dinners. The camp also has a fire-pit, the perfect place for al fresco social gatherings! For booking purposes, the minimum number of nights you are permitted to stay here is two, although Ultimate Safaris recommends at least three to explore the area.
ACTIVITIES AT SOSSUS UNDER CANVAS:
- Sossus Under Canvas is well placed for guests to spot a wealth of wildlife, on walks and drives. Species you can expect to encounter within the gravel plains, dry river valleys, and majestic plateau of Neuhof Nature Reserve include leopard, cheetah, spotted hyena, bat-eared fox, both Burchell’s and Hartmann’s mountain zebra, giraffe, oryx, kudu, springbok, steenbok, and klipspringer.
- There are plans to reintroduce black rhino – we’ll keep you posted on that!
- Guests can also get to know the local area via hot air balloon rides, helicopter flights, and fixed-wing aircraft flights.
- The scenery is absolutely spectacular, a real treat for keen photographers.
- Come nightfall, you can do a little stargazing. The camp also offers sleep-outs and even a multi-day walking safari, featuring some of the most breathtaking views of the Namib Desert!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course