Set within a private nature reserve, its location makes it the perfect starting point for tours, nature drives and horse safaris! Desert Homestead Lodge uses environmentally friendly technology to provide solar-powered electricity and water heating.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The Lodge is located 30km south-east of Sesriem, the gate to the famous Sossusvlei.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT DESERT HOMESTEAD LODGE:
With outstanding panoramic views from the main house, which is set on a hill, you can enjoy meals in the restaurant, drinks in the bar. On the cooler nights, dinners are served by candlelight in the dining room, where you will be warmed by the fire. In balmy weather, meals can be savoured outdoors, on the wide veranda, romantically lit by lanterns. The lounge area is surrounded by glass windows – it has comfortable sofas and large colourful cushions, and there is an adjacent veranda. Have drinks at the bar or indulge in a homemade cake in the afternoons with a cup of tea or coffee. Below the veranda, you can take a swim in the pool – and if it gets just a little too hot, you can relax in sunloungers in the shaded areas around the pool and not miss out on those spectacular views of the desert! If you want to purchase a memento or two of your stay, there is also a souvenirs sale.
There are twenty-one guest houses – and if you are considering bringing the family, two of those houses have three bedrooms, so you will have plenty of space! Follow the paved and well-lit pathways either side of the main building and you will find the houses are all set apart from each other, to allow for privacy. However, you can always see another house, so you feel secure. They are stone built with thatched roofs and fit in well with the style of the main building. Tastefully decorated in neutral tones throughout and low-level lighting, all of the guest houses have en-suite bathrooms, air conditioning, mosquito nets, and private shaded sundecks. There is a laundry service available, and you can order tea and coffee. The bedrooms are spacious, airy, and simply decorated, perfect for you to relax in when you return from your days out. For an extra special experience, you can sleep on the roof of your house and spend the night stargazing to your heart’s content!
ACTIVITIES AT DESERT HOMESTEAD LODGE:
If relaxing isn’t for you, there are many activities on offer for you to enjoy.
- The lodge is located in a private nature reserve close by the UNESCO World Heritage site ‘Namib Sand Sea’, so a good walk with marvellous views is never far away.
- Take a horse safari through the Namib Desert – do not worry if you are a bit of a novice, as experienced riding instructors are there for guidance.
- Some tours include a night’s camping in a tent under Namibia’s beautiful starry sky.
- Fly up in a hot air balloon and delight in a bird’s-eye view of the desert and mountains – or go for a run along the purpose-built pathways.
- Choose to go on a guided hike through the grasses and keep your eyes out for feeding oryx and springbok, zebra and ostrich – with a bit of luck, you might spot cheetahs or even a leopard!
- If you like a bit of adrenalin, you can even take a quad bike ride up the sand dunes.