Serian’s Nkorombo Mobile belongs to the portfolio of properties known as Alex Walker’s Serian, a word meaning ‘serene’ in Maasai. This is a collection of exclusive camps spanning the Maasai Mara and Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park, all encouraging guests to experience the wilderness serenely, immersed in its magic! Accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, and a laundry service. If you’re interested in combining a stay at Nkorombo Mobile with a few days at another Serian property, we recommend The Original and/or Ngare Serian.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp can be accessed via half an hour’s drive from Musiara Airstrip. It’s situated in a secluded spot within the central region of the Maasai Mara National Reserve, close to the famous River Mara!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SERIAN NKOROMBO CAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of just five spacious tents, described by Serian as ‘Selous style’. These are made entirely out of canvas, and an outer layer of fabric extends over the inner layer to create a private veranda at the front. The veranda is set with a couple of safari chairs and a small table, and it’s a great spot for relaxing with a drink while enjoying your river views! Inside the tent, you’ll find a double bed or twin beds, bedside stands and lighting, another safari chair and small table, and a luggage rack. The en-suite facilities are positioned at the back of the tent, and they comprise flush toilet, washbasin, and classic bucket shower! There’s some extra storage space here too. Overall the tents are pretty simple yet very comfortable, and they blend beautifully with the surrounding bushscape.
Nkorombo Mobile’s mess tent is also a canvas structure, with a classic feel. It contains a pleasant lounge, with well-cushioned sofas and armchairs, in addition to a self-service bar. There’s a dining space too, in which everyone eats together around a large table. Guests can also opt to dine at a number of al fresco locations around camp, all the while watching out for wildlife! The mess tent has a lovely veranda, and orange croton bushes on the banks of the river provide lots of shade. Full breakfasts are available, while lunches are buffet style and dinners are fairly formal three-course affairs. And some dishes are prepared using the camp’s very characterful hippo-shaped barbecue! A short distance from the mess tent, there’s a campfire, where guests can socialise and swap safari stories. There’s also a salt lick, which is popular with big game including lion, leopard, and even black rhino.
ACTIVITIES AT SERIAN NKOROMBO CAMP:
- The main thing to do at Serian’s Nkorombo Mobile is go out on seriously good game drives!
- Every group has access to a private safari vehicle with guide and spotter, so you can enjoy truly bespoke experiences of the Maasai Mara National Reserve. This is a dream destination for safaris throughout the year.
- Among the wildlife highlights are all Big Five – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- You can also look out for smaller predators such as cheetah, hyena, and rare wild dog, and other herbivores including giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and a fine assortment of antelopes too!
- The reserve boasts over 500 bird species, not least ostrich, a variety of raptors, all sorts of waterbirds, and specials such as lazy cisticola and purple grenadier.
- If you visit during the months from July to October, you’ll likely witness the dramatic Great Migration river crossings, as huge herds of wildebeest, zebra, and antelopes hurtle over the Mara river in their search for food!
- And even in between drives you can observe a wealth of wildlife around camp.