Laragai House is an excellent option for a big group of travelers seeking exclusive accommodation in the spectacular Borana region.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Laragai House is situated just 8 kilometers from YZ favorite Borana Lodge, in the Borana Hills of Laikipia. This is a stunning location, right on the edge of an escarpment that plummets 3000 feet to the area known as the Northern Frontier District. The house can be accessed via road from Nairobi’s Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, a journey of approximately 4 hours. Alternatively, travelers can touch down at Lewa’s airstrip and be driven to the property in about 50 minutes.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LARAGAI HOUSE:
Laragai House contains eight bedrooms, all very well appointed. Two are particularly opulent, boasting enormous double beds, super-spacious en-suite bathrooms, and breathtaking views to the north, featuring the Lolokwe and Wamba mountains. Three rooms are also doubles – these are slightly smaller but still very impressive with their attention to detail and overall level of comfort. The sixth room has twin beds and is perfect for travelers who like an authentic approach to décor – the walls are bare stone and an explorer’s chest is positioned at the foot of each bed. Finally, there are two bedrooms that are well suited to children. These are just as comfy as the other rooms and share a bathroom. Rooms with views to the south benefit from the majestic sight of Mount Kenya!
Communal spaces include the sumptuous lounge, with comfortable sofas and armchairs, chunky coffee tables, sophisticated lighting, wildlife artwork, and an immense ornate mirror over a grand fireplace! The dining room is pretty special too, with its two long tables flanked by chintzy chairs. The games room contains facilities for table tennis, boules, and croquet. Other amenities include satellite television, a DVD library, a sound system, a full-size keyboard, and Wi-Fi. There’s also a gym, where guests can enjoy cardio machines, weights, and yoga. For the ultimate in relaxation, you need only head out onto the deck, which overlooks a busy waterhole. Here you can marvel at the scenery and enjoy a dip in Laragai’s swimming pool. The pool house contains a kitchen, a bar, and a separate bathroom, with adjacent dining space for al fresco snacks and meals. Racquets and balls are provided for use on the property’s clay tennis court, and there’s even a helicopter landing site – this is the launch pad for exciting flights over Laikipia and farther afield.
*Please be aware that the swimming pool here has no depth markings, so take care before you jump in!*
ACTIVITIES AT LARAGAI HOUSE:
A fine assortment of activities is available here.
- Game drives take place by day and by night, with vehicles able to go off road to guarantee some superb sightings. Borana’s sprawling savanna is home to numerous predators and herbivores, not least lion, cheetah, black rhino, elephant, and zebra.
- There’s some brilliant birdlife too, such as five species of bustard, tawny and crowned eagles, guineafowls, hornbills, and the long-legged secretary bird.
- Guests are also invited on guided walks, to experience some thrilling close encounters with wildlife. You can explore the area on horseback too, or by bike.
- Fishing excursions are always popular with keen anglers, and fly camping is ideal for safarists looking for extra adventures in the bush!
- Culture fans will appreciate the insights afforded by visiting a local village and spending time with the peoples of the region.
- Finally, helicopter flights are fabulous for enjoying a bird’s-eye view of Borana’s plains, woodlands, and more!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.