Governors’ Il Moran consists of just ten tents, spaced along the banks of the river. These are very similar to the tents at Governors’ and Little Governors’, but with one clear distinction – they are absolutely massive!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
It lies only 1km north of elder sister camp Governors’, but it has a distinct character and aims at a luxurious and exclusive feel.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT GOVERNORS' IL MORAN CAMP:
Governors’ Il Moran does have a more peaceful feel than sister camps Governors’ and Little Governors’. The communal areas at Governors’ Il Moran are positioned among plenty of trees and on lawns stretching as far as the riverbank. There are beautiful views of the river from the lounge tent, which is spacious and comfortable with lots of well-cushioned seating around coffee tables to provide a club ambiance. The dining tent is smartly furnished with separate tables and upright chairs on a tiled floor. However, the majority of meals in camp are enjoyed outdoors, overlooking the river.
Each tent resides on a concrete and stone plinth incorporating a few shallow steps up to the veranda. This area contains a small table and upright chairs, two director’s chairs or deckchairs, and a hammock! So there is loads of room to sit and take in the river views. The tents themselves have a sturdy steel frame to support vast walls of canvas. Inside, the floors are covered by thick carpet and a couple of rugs. The beds are chunky in style, constructed from reclaimed timber – all are double, but an extra can be added to make a twin room. Other furniture includes bedside tables, a writing table and chair, two small armchairs with table, a clothes storage unit with hangers, and further shelving. The en-suite facilities are located at the back of each tent, in an area with tiled flooring and wooden walls (half-height panels). They comprise flush toilet, bidet, twin washbasins, walk-in shower, and bathtub with shower attachment. All tents boast power sockets that provide electricity 24 hours per day.
ACTIVITIES AT GOVERNORS' IL MORAN CAM:
- Activities at Governors’ Il Moran focus on game drives. These take place during early morning and late afternoon, within the Musiara and Sekenani regions of the reserve.
- From July to October, the Mara River is host to the Great Migration, with thousands of wildebeest massing on the banks and hurtling across the rushing waters!
- However, there is great game viewing throughout the year, featuring all Big Five animals as well as numerous other carnivores and herbivores. Guiding is first-rate.
- The camp offers hot air balloon safaris too, launching from sister site Little Governors’ – this is a fabulous opportunity to see the Maasai Mara from the sky.
- Visits to the Maasai homestead of Mara Rianda, a short distance from the reserve, are also possible, while a day or overnight trip to the serene Island of Mfangano is ideal for guests who appreciate the option to get away from the crowds!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.