**Things to consider before enquiring about Giraffe Manor:
- The cost: a superior room per night is US$875 per person sharing
- You might have to plan your visit up to 2 years in advance
- Make it a Safari Collection trip for better options
- Swap the experience for a day visit to the Giraffe Centre instead
For more information about how you can visit Giraffe Manor, we've written an in-depth guide that you might find helpful before contacting our team to help plan your Kenya safari.
OVERVIEW: Enjoy a unique luxury stay at Giraffe Manor
Built in 1932 and operating as a country house hotel since 1984, this property resembles a Scottish hunting lodge – but nowhere in Scotland have we encountered giraffe at the windows! Much of the site incorporates the Giraffe Centre of the African Fund for Endangered Wildlife – and a group of giraffes lives in the manor’s grounds. It really is unique in its giraffe gardens – altogether, a YZ favorite!
LOCATED IN NAIROBI, KENYA:
Giraffe Manor is a highly impressive property in Langata, on the outskirts of Nairobi. The grounds of Giraffe Manor consist of some 0.6 sq. km of sweeping lawns and majestic trees!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT GIRAFFE MANOR:
The property boasts a second building, the Garden Manor, a four-room annex constructed in 2011 to provide additional accommodation. Both buildings contain communal areas. The main manor has a very comfortable lounge, featuring plush sofas and armchairs, an open fireplace, shelves of books, and a grand piano! The dining room is extremely formal, with its elegant upright chairs around a long table and collection of silverware. The breakfast room has a more casual feel – not least because the resident giraffes often poke their heads through the windows for feeding! A stunning sun trap of a courtyard links the main manor to the garden property. Garden Manor also has a comfy lounge and a smart dining room. To its left side, there is a shop selling craft items and souvenirs, in addition to a treatment room for massages.
The guest accommodation at Giraffe Manor comprises a total of twelve rooms and suites, spread over its two locations. All rooms are named after individual giraffes, such as Jock, Betty, and Daisy! In the main manor, there are two standard rooms, three superior rooms and the Karen Blixen Suite, while the garden property houses five further superior rooms and the Finch Hatton Suite. All options are styled as country house chic, with either a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables, lounge area, and ample storage space. The en-suite shower rooms or bathrooms have a more modern look yet are equally comfortable. Both suites are often booked for a group or a family, as each consists of one immense room with a mezzanine level. All rooms are slightly different in their furnishings, views, and other aspects – for example, Betty and Daisy share a patio, while Jock, on the main manor’s east corner, gets a lot of giraffe action! Just contact us for all the details.
ACTIVITIES AT GIRAFFE MANOR:
Unsurprisingly, activities at Giraffe Manor focus on the long-necked lovelies!
- All rooms come with giraffe pellets, so guests can feed the animals from their windows. And it is just a short saunter across the lawns to the AFEW Giraffe Centre, to learn about the Rothschild Giraffe and to enjoy a guided walk within the sanctuary.
- There are plenty of local trips to enjoy as well. These include an excursion to the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, to meet, feed, and perhaps even adopt orphaned baby elephants! Guests can also visit the Karen Blixen Museum, the Matbronze Art Gallery and Foundry, and the craft's complex of Marula Studios.