Privately owned and run, Murchison River Lodge is an excellent option within this thrilling region.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
This area of Uganda is usually accessed by road or air from Kampala or Entebbe. Murchison River Lodge is located 20 kilometres downstream from Murchison Falls, a beautiful setting.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MURCHISON RIVER LODGE:
The communal buildings are made out of timber, stone, and thatch, blending pleasantly with the natural surroundings. They include an open-plan restaurant and bar that flows out onto a terrace. Gorgeous scenes of the river and the national park may be enjoyed while you tuck into tasty meals and beverages. The restaurant offers an early-bird continental breakfast from quarter to six until seven in the morning, followed up with cooked breakfast from seven until ten, lunch from midday until two, and three-course dinner from seven until nine every evening. The lodge also has a fantastic little shop, Lion’s Den Craft Shop, which stocks an abundance of gifts as well as essential items. And there are two swimming pools – one is for babies and toddlers, the other for everyone else. Both are positioned close to a pool lounge, which contains changing room with shower, toilet, wash facilities, pool towels, and even a small bar. There is Wi-Fi here too, free of charge.
Guest accommodation at Murchison River Lodge comes in four categories – Thatched Cottage, Thatched Safari Tent, Comfortable Camping, and Campsite, all dotted around the bush. There are four thatched cottages, each sleeping a maximum of four adults or a family. Each has twin beds at ground level, and a double bed on a mezzanine floor. Other features include solar lighting, mosquito nets, shower room, towels, and a stair gate for children if required. This option also benefits from a wide veranda with sofa, hammock, and superb bush views. The Thatched Safari Tent category has many of the same amenities as the Cottage. All tents contain twin beds, and some have sufficient space for an extra bed and/or a cot. Two tents are positioned on the river bank, and every tent has a private permanent washroom. Comfortable Camping offers a similar set-up to the Tent option, except that guests have access to a toilet and shower block rather than use of their own facilities. Finally, the Campsite is perfect for adventurous travellers. Situated away from the river, in a wooded area, the Campsite has a car park, two kitchen areas, an outside water source, and access to the toilet and shower block. Please note, you must bring your own camping equipment.
**Please be aware that the swimming pool here has no depth markings or 'No Diving' signs, so take care before you jump in!**
ACTIVITIES AT MURCHISON RIVER LODGE:
Murchison River Lodge offers an outstanding variety of activities, enlisting the services of local companies such as Wild Frontiers.
- You could start your stay in spectacular style, with a boat launch to the famous Murchison Falls. This involves a trip along the River Nile, with opportunities to observe plenty of wildlife on the way. The river is home to Nile crocodile and hippo, as well as a wonderful range of waterbirds. Big game may be spotted too – elephant and buffalo often come to the riverbanks to quench their thirst. These species are commonly seen on game drives, as are big cats and lots of herbivores. It is also possible to view the falls from the top, and to enjoy the walking trails in this area in the company of a knowledgeable guide.
- If you like the challenge of a full-on hike, chimpanzee treks are available in Budongo Forest, which is adjacent to Murchison Falls N.P. Six groups have been habituated in the forest, and you can expect to see baboons, blue monkey, and black-and-white colobus monkey too.
- Community walks are on offer as well, again accompanied by a guide.
- Excursions to Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary provide interesting insights into the history of rhinos throughout Uganda, and guided walks here bring you up close to the rugged residents, currently numbering thirty six.
- And for a little relaxation, you can fish on the Nile or simply gaze out over the park from the comfort of the lodge, spotting elephant as they paddle by.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.