Roho ya Selous is an excellent addition to the camps and lodges of the Selous, with one of the finest locations in the reserve! As well as providing superb safaris for families, the camp offers excellent active safaris, and romantic safaris too! Please note, it is closed from 16th March to 31st May every year.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The closest airstrip to Roho ya Selous is Selous Mbuyu, which is only 15–20 minutes from camp. The site occupies land on a small hill, with views of the Rufiji river and easy access to both Lake Manze and Lake Nzerakera, famous for their hippos!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT ROHO YA SELOUS:
The communal areas are housed in a super-stylish mess tent, featuring a stone base under elegant canvas drapes. Here, you will find comfy armchairs and sofas, coffee tables, and dining furniture, all in a sophisticated palette of earth tones and greys. There are also a few plants set out in pots on the stone area, bestowing a patio feel. Wi-Fi is available, and there is even a cosy fireplace for chilly evenings! You can dine within the grounds too – and a short distance from the mess tent, there is a swimming pool.
Guest accommodation at Roho ya Selous consists of eight tented rooms – seven standards and one for families. All benefit from their situation in the shade of trees, in addition to the cooling effects of evening breeze air conditioning – a unit is positioned above every bed. Other amenities include mosquito nets, a safe, and en-suite facilities comprising flush toilet, twin washbasins, indoor and outdoor showers with hot running water, and complimentary toiletries. The family tent has two bedrooms, and it sleeps a maximum of two adults and three children! Furnishings in both categories of accommodation are every inch as exquisite as those of the mess tent, including comfy beds, a pleasant lounge area, potted plants, and wildlife artwork. And every guest tent boasts a private veranda, perfect for relaxing and enjoying the beautiful Selous scenery.
Dinner is prepared in camp by Roho ya Selous’ chefs and it always comprises three courses. Breakfast is a buffet meal, so you can choose whether to have a light meal or a fully cooked bonanza! Lunch is a buffet affair too, usually including lots of fresh vegetables and salads. There’s also tea and cake at 4 in the afternoon. Chefs are able to accommodate all special diets, with a little advance notice.
ACTIVITIES AT ROHO YA SELOUS:
- Activities from Roho ya Selous focus on seeing the Selous Game Reserve and its abundant wildlife, on game drives, walking safaris, and boating safaris.
- The sprawling plains, woodlands, wetlands, and waters are home to a wonderful variety of species – predators such as lion, leopard, wild dog, and crocodile, and predators including elephant, buffalo, giraffe, zebra, eland, kudu, and hippo.
- There are plenty of birds too, for example the impressive fish eagle and the mysterious Pel’s fishing owl! Photo opportunities abound, whether you are watching the animal action on land or on the water.
- Game drives and walks are available in early morning, while boating takes place in the afternoon, following the siesta.
- Boating safaris may be combined with catch-and-release fishing – catfish and tiger fish are among the species that populate the waterways of the Selous.
- All activities are led by highly knowledgeable guides, who will ensure you enjoy loads of wildlife sightings, from the smallest insects to the most impressive big game!
- And each day ends with a delicious dinner served under the stars, with private dining on offer for honeymooners or couples seeking a romantic experience.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.