Privately owned, Legendary Serengeti South is run by Tanzanian camp managers. Within the Serengeti ecosystem, it moves between three locations – the North, South & West – depending on where the herds of the Great Migration are. The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, game drives, night drives, walking safaris, and a light laundry service. A child rate applies to guests aged 4–15 years, and youngsters aged 3 years and younger stay for free!
Please note, there is no single supplement, and the camp is open from 1st December to 30th April. NB: The West camp is open from mid-May to mid-July and the North Camp is open from mid-July until 30th November.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via 15 minutes’ road transfer from Makao Airstrip (private charters only) or 45 minutes’ drive from Mwiba Airstrip. It’s positioned on the edge of a tree line within the Maswa Game Reserve. This location is very enticing, as it affords breathtaking vistas over the vast short-grass plains of the Serengeti, as far as the Ngorongoro Crater!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LEGENDARY SERENGETI MOBILE CAMP SOUTH:
Guest accommodation consists of 11 standard tents and one family unit, divided into two camps as 6 and 5 or 7 and 4 in addition to the family tent where appropriate. All tents are very well appointed. Each standard has a double bed with mosquito nets, bedside tables and lighting, end-bed seating, a wardrobe, a storage chest, and a tea-and-coffee station. Snug rugs adorn the floor, and curtains may be drawn across the windows at night and to keep cool. The en-suite facilities are accessed through a zipped opening to the side of the tent. They comprise toilet, washbasin/s, and classic bucket shower. At the front of the tent, a zipped door leads out on to a private seating area, perfect for watching the wildlife wander through! The family tent benefits from all these furnishings and amenities, plus additional space for children.
Each separate camp within Legendary Serengeti South has a communal mess tent. This tent is open sided and contains a comfy sofa and armchairs around a coffee table, a dining table and campaign-style chairs, and a bar. There’s some reading material too, as well as wildlife artwork, a mobile phone signal, Wi-Fi, and, of course, amazing views over the Serengeti plains! The fire-pit area is usually set up a short stroll from each mess tent and provides an additional space for social gatherings. It’s a great spot for enjoying a drink and chatting with your fellow travellers.
ACTIVITIES AT LEGENDARY SERENGETI MOBILE CAMP SOUTH:
- Expertly guided vehicle safaris are available during the day and the night, and present opportunities to see the Serengeti’s wealth of wildlife! The highlight is the huge herds of the Great Migration, the wildebeest, zebra, and gazelles thundering through the national park in their search for good grazing.
- Maswa offers a very private viewing experience, featuring amazing sightings of the herds milling around and giving birth on the southern plains – it’s one of the few places within the Serengeti ecosystem to boast these attractions. All these herbivores attract impressive concentrations of big cats – lion, leopard, and impressive numbers of cheetah.
- If you’re lucky, you might spot wild dog!
- Other species you can look out for include elephant, buffalo, hyenas, jackals, giraffe, numerous antelopes, hippo, and a few primates.
- The area is also hugely popular with birdlife! In fact, over 500 types of feathery friend have been recorded here, including ostrich, lesser flamingo, martial eagle, marabou stork, crowned crane, secretary bird, and lovebirds.
- You can enjoy wildlife sightings while on walking safaris too – this activity is ideal for getting up close to plants and insects as well.
- For a bird’s-eye view of the Serengeti, you can take a hot air balloon ride over those endless plains, ascending at dawn and returning to Earth for a delightful champagne breakfast! Day trips to Ndutu and a village visit are on offer too.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.