Katambuga House is an excellent option for a stopover before or after your Tanzania safari! Small and secluded, with just six rooms, it can be booked for exclusive use.
Katambuga House is privately owned and run. It’s relatively new within the Arusha area, having opened in 2017. The property feels clean and fresh, and the staff are eager to please. Perhaps the building exteriors lack a little character compared with the likes of Machweo, but inside the house and cottage it’s very pleasant – and the gardens are gorgeous! Accommodation is booked on a B&B basis, and the house is open all year round.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The house can be accessed via 5–10 minutes’ road transfer from Arusha Airport. Approached just off the main tarmac road from the city, it’s situated amidst coffee estates, with majestic Mount Meru rising behind.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KATAMBUGA HOUSE:
There are four bedrooms within the main house, in addition to a two-bedroom cottage in the grounds. The four house rooms are paired, providing an alternative option for families when the cottage is unavailable. House rooms are well suited to families with older children, as well as to solos and couples. Each features a king-size bed or two queen-size beds, bedside stands and lighting, a writing desk and chair, and a comfortable seating corner. Additional amenities include mosquito nets, ceiling fans, an electric combination safe, and a hairdryer. En-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin, and shower, and every room flows into a covered veranda with lovely views over the property’s English country garden-style lawns! Cottage rooms are similarly appointed, and all rooms come with a great range of services – free Wi-Fi, daily maid, and laundry on request.
The living and dining areas at Katambuga House are fairly modest in size yet with a very homely cabin-type feel. The lounge features plenty of comfy seating around a cosy fireplace, while the welcoming dining area is the setting for delicious breakfasts. Guests can tuck in to a selection of cereals, homemade breads, seasonal fruit, yogurt, sausage, bacon, and eggs. You can also relax and dine on the house’s veranda, all the while enjoying gorgeous garden views. As well as beautiful flower-lined paths, the gardens contain croquet lawns and a swimming pool. The latter is flanked by another al fresco dining area, perfect for candlelit dinners and other meals.
ACTIVITIES AT KATAMBUGA HOUSE:
Katambuga House offers a variety of activities, both on site and farther afield. Here are a few examples:
- Estate walks and birding – The area’s estates are wonderful for walking, with their fragrant fields and brilliant birdlife. The nearest estate is Endurance Estate, which has amazing mountain views!
- Biking – If you’re feeling energetic, you can explore the local farmland on a bike ride. This activity is fantastic for covering a lot of ground.
- Mountain hiking – The Manduli mountains, situated 30 minutes’ drive from Katambuga, are a dream destination for hikers. And once you’ve made it to the top, you can catch your breath while admiring some spectacular scenery.
- Coffee tasting – Head out to the Burka Estate, which is positioned on the slopes of Mount Meru. Here, you can sample some of the finest Arabica coffee, produced within farmland totalling over three hundred hectares.
- Excursions into Arusha – Arusha boasts a wealth of attractions – shops, restaurants, cafés, bars, markets, museums, galleries, and more! Katambuga’s staff are happy to organise tours and other activities for you. For more details about the city, please click here.